#1927 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • United States

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:28 PM

That is pretty cool. There have been bits and pieces of classical music in rock and roll but very few full pieces.

Beethoven's 5th was used by ELO on Roll Over Beethoven:

A lot of bands created what could be termed classical pieces. Pink Floyd has many examples. King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" is another. The late Greg Lake was a part of King Crimson and later Emerson, Lake and Palmer, of course. You have (Jeff) Beck's Bolero and so many others. Perhaps my favorite part of the Rock genre.

#1928 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • United States

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Glen Campbell's version of Gentle On My Mind was linked in his obit post but I thought I would share the original by its writer John Hartford.

#1929 Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3222 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:22 PM

A lot of bands created what could be termed classical pieces. Pink Floyd has many examples. King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" is another. The late Greg Lake was a part of King Crimson and later Emerson, Lake and Palmer, of course. You have (Jeff) Beck's Bolero and so many others. Perhaps my favorite part of the Rock genre.

https://www.youtube....h?v=eHJ7An2CMB4

Excellent choice of music..!!

Bob Fripp and I were born in Dorset villages about 4 miles and 10 years apart, called Witchampton and Holt. I like to think that we also share the same " farmers accent" ... Rumour has it that he nicked the original painting from that album. No idea if it's true or not...

#1930 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • United States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

Excellent choice of music..!!

Bob Fripp and I were born in Dorset villages about 4 miles and 10 years apart, called Witchampton and Holt. I like to think that we also share the same " farmers accent" ... Rumour has it that he nicked the original painting from that album. No idea if it's true or not...

Another band I should have mentioned was The Moody Blues, especially some of their intros. Full songs as well. This first song is Question. Great song.

T

The intro to Peak Hour, Lunch Break, is reminiscent of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

Peak Hour follows with one of the best lead guitar solos in rock history, imho.

My nipples get hard to that solo. As short as it is, it gives me chills still.

edit:

Just found this. The first song is a live version of Peak Hour.

Edited by midlifecrisis, 10 August 2017 - 12:31 AM.

#1931 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • United States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Another of my favorite guitarists is Mark Knopfler. Although he has done some good solo work (and some work I am not particularly a fan of) I think his best work was with Dire Straits.

One of my favorites:

Rockabilly

#1932 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11883 posts
  • United States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

Here's proof that you can take something as childish as a nursery rhyme and turn it into a great song:

The late Stevie Ray Vaughn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 276 user(s)

mbrucie, Rickster59, timorno, Montydog, danmore, joekicker, The Gunslinger, 9cisco999, gld063, farman, bastax33, cohiba1961, niterider, Desmond Jones, tallguy, starry, paul230, antmac, simon_cook, villayouth, chatkeow, soi6, will1006, scott2night, Swami, , dontcha, pattaya_mad, maxwell9, wetwillie, Fornicator, marxere, pugman, blu38, travlr1134, OOOPS, surfboardfactory, GeeMan, grayray44, jamie392305, LittleBell, JohnLogieBaird, bigtimeali, GlynRhedyn, geweis, FoxtrotOscar, Baht, omar ksa, jimbowx, Fondles, Keen Punter, jte, wilnor41, whaleback, Andyboy, dave21, Happy Knackers, marz, sick buffalo, patcrazy, couqui, inxs, , pmoff, tomcat76, lovedog100, Khun.Dip, glassdude007, jaxxon55, nus01, eycplUK, Sinistersinner, BILLYH, , fttrading09, JohnUK, GeeGee, arheath, rhino, darkmancomes, LeoTex, samfreeland, harro1, dirtydawg, wes007, Grahamxxx, kutetee, Hub, The Mook, thaidave991, ttk, horizons, MeGoDanceNow, Gus, roderick17, ttez, gs joe, marklotus, LocalYokul, hydraunit, tangent, mjg2go, TKR Bones, Danishfur, baht_miser, mrlasvegas, sanuk scouser, fisherman194, eltib, snowbird, Kev, mr kotter, beefos, mmaaarrrkkk, andy1, kikc69, Indiscipline, spike, CheshireTom, Gabor, Counterpointing, Patna, highflier, ktappinen, MrHearse, laffnliv, JONPAT, bigmick, Evil Penevil, bvthunder, Czar Boris, SnidelyW, derzhava, ron_jh, , Sattahip, Chris100UK, berettakid, Bushcraft, porter702, BigusDicus, Odense, lellexp, DrPat, bignote1, nkped, robbo, Tilacno1, kimasabi, fosse, parry, PETERN, steamer, , csm, danboy, boss hogg, joey01, SlipSlopSlap, kahootzgreenbay, short, sh7691, biglime, Bear194, tq-dave, Greg_B, MyTHaiMyKe, aldo262, Obsession, basse45, ZARIS, Roughneck, LBJ, chippendalesam, Bay1, ShiftySteve, syd_tybil, Idefix, barelli, LED, bkkbob40, plahgat, wombat51, chas, Parkwahn, daplaya_btm, hoss21, s77656769, TheFiend, groover, Big_Brian, ThaiLearner, Yzi, briar, henryski, graymatter, jem23, singhapleez, tazzydevil, rnine, yselmike, Gonzo, chico, Britboy, RhinoTusk, Steef, BeerBelly, python, woody0563, Sailfast, papillon, muddyleopard, Lucky, 007cableguy, alexist, VPI78, LAMF, js007, titan, inky13, Chilli Pepper, tommyjg, Nightrider, yogi100, fast eddy, Jack Scagnetti, Fatboyfat, keyman, marleyboy, kaiser71, vanilla73, InCider, 4niceight, BigDUSA, spiderman, Lantern, Shuggy, conway, rvhd, Dave, Gawd Elpus, Butch, MM, SimplySam, flighty, seanss, powinho, Malzy, sabaidii2, biggles, Stan, CalEden, explorer, kingfuji, InternationalTraveler, Goldpanner, Fireman Sam, monkeyman, ozerob, brent, yorta2, atlas2, Chang_paarp, Siam Sam, Riviera, sailingbill, brotherbuzz, Scottie, jacko, midlifecrisis, jor, Bullfrog, ichy2, redwood13, wacmedia, lounge_lizard