RhinoTusk

Super Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

POPULAR

Pics from the farang ghetto, the 'Hood.  Ideally situated half way between Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy, an oasis in lower Sukhumvit.  Upscale restaruants (17% added to your bill is the norm), trendy discos, but you can still find bar girls (Hillary 3 Bar) and Climax Disco in the basement of the Ambassador Hotel is one of the best places in town for freelancers.  For the budget-minded traveler, there's the Soi 11 Guesthouse and Cheap Charlies, a Bangkok institution for 30 years.  Bed supper club has closed and the Federal Hotel will soon be replaced by expensive condos, the neighborhood is changing.  But there's something for everyone on Soi 11, I call it home.

VW minibuses take over the parking lanes and every night is like a block party

DSC_0041.jpg DSC_0049.jpg DSC_0331.jpg DSC_0045 (2).JPG DSC_0334.jpg DSC_0337.jpg DSC_0361.jpg DSC_0367.jpg

A quiet and tranquil Sunday morning

DSC_4310.jpg DSC_4321.jpg DSC_4325.jpg DSC_4322.JPG DSC_4332.JPG DSC_4396.JPG

What's left of the Bed

DSC_4336.jpg

Even the Thai restaurants add 17% surcharges

DSC_4339.JPG

But not off the street

DSC_4338.JPG

Where you can have your sox mended

DSC_4342.jpg

Here's a self-portrait, and there are spas and lots of tug shops

DSC_4385.JPG

DSC_4355.jpg DSC_4371.jpg DSC_4388.JPG DSC_4439.jpg DSC_4303.JPG

Climax Disco, in the basement of the Ambassador Hotel, has live bands and 250 baht cover (includes 1 drink), gets started after midnight

DSC_4414.jpg

Hillary 3 has bar girls

DSC_4330.JPG

Angel City Diner is in the ground floor of The Prime, rent for a one bedroom condo starts at 40,000/month.  The sign says 24 hours, but they close at 4:30 AM.

DSC_4331.JPG

The Cheap Charlie cul de sac

DSC_4419.jpg DSC_4434.jpg DSC_4435.JPG DSC_4314.JPG DSC_0073.JPG

I've never eaten at this Indian restaurant, just assumed they were trying to warn me.

DSC_4436.jpg

Chez Pape has among the most reasonable prices in town for french cuisine.  Weekend lunch specials feature 3 courses with a glass of wine for just 650. (that's 550++)

DSC_4432.JPG DSC_4431.jpg

Farang women can have a difficult time attracting attention in this neck of the woods, but I've been in LOS for a decade and can't recall what it means to be sexually frustrated.

DSC_5347.jpg

Q Bar

DSC_8012.jpg

Apotheke features live blues bands, starting around 9:30.  No cover, but a Jack & Coke will set you back 250.  The open-air bar with the huge brick wall reminds me a bit of Bourbon Street in N'Orleans.

DSC_8019.jpg

Oskar Bistro:  Is it a bar or restaurant?

DSC_8042.jpg

Soi 11, it's a nice place to live, sure better than farangland.

#2 MC_Ldop

MC_Ldop

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2151 posts
  • United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for the great photos! I quite like Soi 11. Aloft is a nice hotel that's relatively inexpensive. Bed Supper Club and the various bars at Le Fenix are good fun. Climax disco is a nice spot to find late-night freelancers.

#3 Samsonite

Samsonite

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3689 posts
  • United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

Great photos! Thanks for the memories!

#4 Sailfast

Sailfast

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3883 posts
  • United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Grand Business Inn was a great place to stay 3-4 years ago. Very clean, affordable and g/friendly. Always had a blast.

#5 papillon

papillon

Hall O Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16776 posts
  • Pakistan

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

What's the name of the Arab hotel with the disco in the basement? I went there once. A shithole. I see photos of Ambassador hotel but I'm thinking it's another hotel. fuck I needs to stop drinking my memory is getting hazey.

#6 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33382 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

What's the name of the Arab hotel with the disco in the basement? I went there once. A shithole. I see photos of Ambassador hotel but I'm thinking it's another hotel. fuck I needs to stop drinking my memory is getting hazey.

Grace?

#7 MM

MM

Hall O Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30714 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:52 AM

A well-done pictorial and guide thru Soi 11.

Thanks!

#8 Samsonite

Samsonite

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3689 posts
  • United States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

Grace?

Sounds about right. It is over on Soi 3.

#9 Zidane

Zidane

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

Great photos.....I've stayed on Sukhumvit 11 on quite a few occassions and always enjoyed it.

A bit surprised at the Bed Supper Club closing.It was one of Bangkoks trendiest venues.I wonder if it has re-opened at another location ?

Q Bar is another good place on the soi.

#10 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Super Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the comments.  Here are a few more, mostly from this afternoon

DSC_8049.jpg DSC_8050.jpg DSC_8051.jpg DSC_8052.jpg DSC_8056.jpg DSC_8058.jpg DSC_8060.jpg DSC_8066.jpg DSC_8068.jpg DSC_0350.jpg DSC_8038.jpg DSC_8070.jpg DSC_8074.jpg DSC_8080.jpg DSC_8086.jpg DSC_8096.jpg DSC_8103.jpg DSC_8106.jpg

#11 Fatboyfat

Fatboyfat

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1967 posts
  • Interests:Reminiscing...."If you can't reminisce, you've led a truly sad and wasted life !"
  • United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Excellent photo-set as ever RT. I was trying to remember whether the Ambassador had one of the notorious "coffee bars" annexed to it in the 60s. We visited one, which I was sure had that name, and had a whale of a time. Prior to that we had tended to frequent the Mosquito bar and others around that dock area. Altogether a far sleazier experience.

#12 papillon

papillon

Hall O Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16776 posts
  • Pakistan

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

jacko, on 23 Dec 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Grace?

That's it.

#13 blackrabbitz

blackrabbitz

New Poster

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

i am still a fan of 7/1 - after all theres only one Eden Club

#14 nadia

nadia

Junior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

great piccies

#15 Fatboyfat

Fatboyfat

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1967 posts
  • Interests:Reminiscing...."If you can't reminisce, you've led a truly sad and wasted life !"
  • United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

What is that tube construction thingy in the last set of photos?

#16 CheshireTom

CheshireTom

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16415 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

What is that tube construction thingy in the last set of photos?

It was Bed SupperClub.

#17 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Super Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1427 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

"It's a cookbook." Still looks like an alien spaceship.

#18 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9197 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for reminding me that I need to spend a night in Bangkok the next time I am in Thailand. Your essay is very tempting.

#19 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33382 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for reminding me that I need to spend a night in Bangkok the next time I am in Thailand. Your essay is very tempting.

Not in the near future I hope, what with the Skytrain being broke and the protests I think straight to Pattaya works best for many!

#20 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9197 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Jacko. Tell me more about the Skytrain being broke. I have missed this piece of news.

PS. Since the upgrade I still cannot use 'quote'using IE and I am too lazy to change to Chrome.

#21 CheshireTom

CheshireTom

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16415 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Jacko. Tell me more about the Skytrain being broke. I have missed this piece of news.

#22 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33382 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

PS. Since the upgrade I still cannot use 'quote'using IE and I am too lazy to change to Chrome.

There were bombs in the south too.... Sadao in Songkla province and a truck packed with explosives found in Phuket.

They fixed the Skytrain but you can imagine the chaos that would cause... I bet all the meters on the taxis broke too!

Pattaya looks like it is going to be crowded.....  being a quick drive from chaotic Bangkok.......

Good news, Baht under pressure so more of them for your £/$/Euro etc.

#23 CheshireTom

CheshireTom

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16415 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

There were bombs in the south too.... Sadao in Songkla province and a truck packed with explosives found in Phuket.

They fixed the Skytrain but you can imagine the chaos that would cause... I bet all the meters on the taxis broke too!

Pattaya looks like it is going to be crowded.....  being a quick drive from chaotic Bangkok.......

Good news, Baht under pressure so more of them for your £/$/Euro etc.

Bangkok will empty out during what is effectively a 4-5 day holiday.  It's actually a good time to visit the capital.

#24 Jack Scagnetti

Jack Scagnetti

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • United States

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

great pics....thanks

#25 ikkrang

ikkrang

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

I used to stay at Grand President during the first five years of this century. Memories of many different but the same rooms in B wing, with a stream of different but the same girls , usually from Soi Cowboy, sometimes Nana, occasionally different places.

. A seemingly respectable Massage shop, near Cheap Charlies, where an initial nailcut morphed into an oily massage into a wild steamy ride.

A tiny hole in the wall bar opposite that started with a cold Singha and ended with the waitress in my bed at GP for a ST.

Breakfast on the terrace of a new hotel nearer Sukhumvit, with Oy, a new girl from the Bar with No Name in SC, who got a call from Mae during the meal, and insisted I'd have a chat with Mae.

I look at the pictures I took of her lovely body after breakfast, which led to another roll in the hay, and the memories all come flooding bed.

Pictures of Nut, who made me come six times in 24 hours, sitting on top of me, then getting up, standing in front of the mirror with one leg lifted on a chair, insisting I try her other orifice, "just for a change"
She later married a retired English Oil worker and opened a bar in Hua Hin....

Soi 11, I have a lot of history there.....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 372 user(s)

The_Fat_Controller, GeeMan, Atticus, rb, bastax33, soi6, WeezinGeezer, timorno, Obsession, natureofnorway, BeerBelly, Inbound, blackrabbitz, Raistx, Grandpollo, The Mook, Nightrider, walt3, SimplySam, rawdonlad, expat67, Billions, Spice, nus01, Zidane, tourist5024, svenskyes, bruiser, glee, highlander, Rushman, sarajevo, Bar4, MC_Ldop, ttk, marz, surfboardfactory, wombat51, kingkong, patcrazy, horizons, thailandmax, ShiftySteve, BENJI, Top_Cat, steviemaast, iceice, tommyjg, hanson, redctt, dloser, etk, goldeni, petertaylor, BBB, astare, btm1735, Dennism, predatorbmw, uk118dk, Marquis58401, kikc69, glassdude007, rummi, jamcomp, presmike, desertrat, jogsuk, Indiscipline, trapperjohn, mikte123, YabbaDabba-do, tayo, forest51, Patrick, ice3799, barkeeper, potnoodle, AussieG, Sparks, mafanabe, surestop, nittensytti3, gembee, hicom300, rracb, airborni, topgun7, Person, geordiegirl, Hub, rogero, PETERN, bobrob01, fttrading09, spike, baht_miser, Bear194, greenhorn, richardm, BBD, Rockhead, marleyboy, fasterfreddy, ron_jh, Stan, danboy, derzhava, teelack, plahgat, seadog, gerry67, ronrat, mmaaarrrkkk, Forever, Patna, hugobronson, grityorteef, ichy2, fieser31, bigdaddyy15, aldo262, marklotus, sandyyy, Biego, ChickenWing, olli, howser, dmann100, yummiejan, LocalYokul, okanagan, algy, tibora, willconq66, Kev, Geno, Topblue, JohnJr, pattayaman, ikkrang, CheshireTom, runanga, Parkwahn, tombon, firth1974, N3RGT, cluster, Private Dancer, nadia, hydraunit, namnam, Gonzo, golfer2426, Yzi, Chris198t3, kenmale, jem23, lustyles, driftwood, lurker-b, ttez, moweex, veill, bigmick, gus in cebu, nakisses, harro1, jay5678, samaka, ctm, razraz, , cohiba1961, DrPat, vego2u, Force5, tq-dave, couqui, Jack Scagnetti, accyboy, jumbos, maxienz, syed, joeaf, pringlepringle, max_power, captainmainwaring, Daveuk, tahalum, aardvark, kev1967, CanadianGuy, worldxcess78, Odense, Gus, sparkydave, graymatter, sponio, assasaintim, PoolHustler, Sailfast, kari, m_right, powinho, skaterp, ewert, broncobilly, odul001, nogo, elche, decki, DOLPHIN777, Monarch, MrHearse, Malzy, rsaran, goodwill, Nory, jonnydd, aarmitage9, djyuma, Firedude, Jarex, terry68, MJKidd, Yujin, Roughneck, ranj, silverhedgehog, , jbaht1, arigold, beefos, wacmedia, hahimi, Butch, sabaidii2, inky13, kuranda_bagman, ThaiLearner, yogi100, STARGAZER, 4niceight, papadoc, PattayaPete, mrlasvegas, SunnyValentine, Dungheap, antmac, zyphur, Dave, Andyboy, forcebwithu, csm, InternationalTraveler, , nivla, tazzydevil, brotherbuzz, laffnliv, Flurkske, johnboy1, odin1eye, BigusDicus, billy69, lanzalad, Dm1980, telmah, TheFiend, dekalb45, LAMF, nkped, MM, tommyg, carling, jimmac, jimbowx, retep1, Big_Brian, CalEden, Tilacno1, braggsaw, aj, fisherman194, gkp, slazenger, slaggan, glenjean, briar, BreathEZ, shambley, mjg2go, Dibbletoo, knavjord, Calii, Counterpointing, papparog, dyer_made, pug, diver57, sonofsiam, Fatboyfat, JHolmesJr, prashantiem, Den, xvidotop2, Andtom, henryski, ketil_n, thegrogmonster, Bazle, Fireman Sam, Regyai, Firepole, dream1302, midlifecrisis, PATFAN, stuarty, fast eddy, bkkbob40, yorta2, Pumpuynarak, villaman, keyman, zaco59, kenya69, beerboy, goldtop1, Catbear, python, kingfuji, stu88, monochromeman, Manganelli, CyberSpud, typhoon42, Bob Belzy, neilri2001, dheado, yaounde1, dddd, Gary, enduser, Chris100UK, Scottie, js007, RhinoTusk, grs90, lounge_lizard, travlr1134, fredflint, Chang_paarp, maik, statman208, rnine, robbo, tallguy, short, stomper, atlas2, jacko, sailingbill, VPI78, buck22, redwood13, LasRobos, InCider, papillon, chrisinjapan, conway, Samsonite