NOTICE! BOARD UPGRADE THIS COMING SATURDAY!

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sukhumvit Soi 11, Bangkok

soi 11 bangkok

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 MM

MM

Hall O Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30907 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:02 PM

Are the shisha pictures prior to the crackdown? Or are they still openly selling shisha in Bangkok?

El Gaucho seems to be the expat favorite for steaks in Bangkok..been meaning to go there sometime myself.

#77 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 29 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think the shisha crackdown is from a local ordinance.  A shrewd Bangkok bar manager could probably recruit half the girls from Soi 6 about now.

Edited by RhinoTusk, 29 June 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#78 tommyg

tommyg

Junior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:travel football (sunderland) golf music
  • United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:51 PM

we are in bangkok for 2 nights end of july.is this the best street for a pub crawl for me and my partner,it will be a sunday night.

tommy and alison.

#79 tallguy

tallguy

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Definitely worth a look if you don't want girly bars. A few places with live music, places to play pool, good places to eat. It depends what you are after.

#80 tommyg

tommyg

Junior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:travel football (sunderland) golf music
  • United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

thank you,sunday night sorfted.

#81 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

POPULAR

Here's an update.  Photos from this morning.

DSC_2606.jpg

A quiet Sunday morning

DSC_2617.jpg

Site of the legendary Cheap Charlies Bar, a Bangkok institution for decades.  Now the entire cul de sac is being cleared for more luxury condos.

DSC_2612.jpg

El Gaucho Steakhouse has moved further down the Soi.

DSC_2623.jpg

Starbucks has arrived, there goes the neighborhood.  Even the BJ Bar is gone now.

DSC_2663.jpg

Site of the former Q Bar

DSC_2646.jpg

Insanity Disco and V8 Diner moved in to compensate for closure of Climax Disco, occupying the spot previously used by the St. Regis.

DSC_2651.jpg

Not my car

DSC_2660.jpg

Kazbar killed off by sishta ban and Coyote Mex also gone

DSC_2626.jpg

Still some old reliables

DSC_2634.jpg

More burger options with Daniel Thaiger

DSC_2640.jpg

Another luxury condo going in on the site of the old Federal Hotel

DSC_2624.jpg

Edited by RhinoTusk, 10 September 2017 - 05:24 AM.

#82 Chris100UK

Chris100UK

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1256 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Shame that courtyard is gone. Nice little oasis tucked away from the hustle of Soi 11.

#83 cbrib

cbrib

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1562 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Thailand

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:13 AM

The face of Suk is changing so rapidly, thanks for the pics and update!

#84 Irishfella

Irishfella

New Poster

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

Ive stayed i Soi 11 on the last 3 visits to Bangkok. To be honest it has lost its fun factor and the traffic is a pain in the ass.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#85 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

On Sukhumvit at Soi 10, Chuwit Garden is to be replaced by a mall.  It's a pity since there's not a lot of open space around. Formerly known as Sukhumvit Square, populated by bars and GoGos when purchased by Chuwit Kamolvisit.  Does anyone remember? He hired a few hundred thugs to demolish the businesses at 4 AM Jan 26, 2003 to dispel the tenants.

http://www.khaosoden...den-paved-mall/

DSC_8633.jpg

DSC_8626.jpg

DSC_8646.jpg

I recall enjoying a cigar on the gazebo in the back (before I realized no smoking was permitted).

DSC_8651.jpg

DSC_8658.jpg

Meanwhile, construction on the Q House at Soi 6 coming along nicely.  Asking price for a condo starts at 30 million.

DSC_8665.jpg

This was the state of construction 2 years ago

DSC_4238.jpg

Much slower pace across the street where the new Hyatt Regency is being constructed between Soi 11 and Soi 13. They've been at this for 6 years!  The new hotel is due to open the second half of this year.

https://bangkoksukhu...hotel/home.html

DSC_8664.jpg

DSC_8611.jpg

DSC_8609.jpg

The 'Hood is changing.  Stay tuned.

Edited by RhinoTusk, 28 January 2018 - 09:24 PM.

#86 maik

maik

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

Bad news about Chuwit Garden  :cry: When I am in Bangkok I use to stay at a hotel in Soi 10

#87 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

The Mystery of the Missing Massage Shops

Adjacent Villa Market were a sequence of shops starting with an Indian Restaurant and ending with a hair salon, with 8 small massage shops (all offering happy endings) in between. The massage shops were open until 3-4 AM.

DSC_8695.jpg
DSC_8691.jpg

Last month, all the massage shops closed, but not by any police action.  Evidently, leases expired and the businesses were forced to move, but only the massage shops, all other businesses remained.

DSC_8694.jpg

Furthermore, an additional 10 massage shops behind Villa Market closed, while another two restaurants, a travel agency, and another hair salon remained.

DSC_8685.jpg

A short distance away, another 3 massage shops closed between the Bangkok Bank and the pharmacy.  In summary, over 20 massage shops closed last month, while the 6 other businesses intermixed remained open (3 restaurants, a travel agency, and 2 hair salons) .

DSC_8929.jpg

Bummer!

Edited by RhinoTusk, 01 February 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#88 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

POPULAR

UPDATE:  The Cheap Charlie cul-de-sac was open today for a garage sale.  Normally cordoned off, and no trespassing, so I took the opportunity for some snaps.  (See page 1 of this topic to see as it was.)

Entering from the north end, formerly the Suk 11 Guesthouse

DSC_8727.jpg

Chez Pape still has a "Help Wanted" sign out.

DSC_8722.jpg

Looks pretty shabby, good thing you can't see much of it from the street.

DSC_8720.jpg

DSC_8712.jpg

Here's the southern end, with the former site of Cheap Charlie's on the left. 

BTW,  Cheap Charlie's has reopened in On Nut

http://www.khaosoden...ies-reopen-nut/

DSC_8704.jpg

#89 mike_asia

mike_asia

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

Anyone remember club eleysee back in the day?

#90 Siam Sam

Siam Sam

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5867 posts
  • Interests:Asian girls, travel, reading, music, writing, beer, collecting books/CDs/DVDs, philosophy, literature, religion, conspiracy theories, gastronomy and fine wine, long walks, profound talks about metaphysics, philosophy, eschatology, religion and cosmology, ticking things off my bucket list and living everyday like the last.
  • England

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

Good photos that I really appreciate as I have spent so much time in these areas over the years. Things are changing so quickly these days on Sukhumvit. A shame about Cheap Charlies but great to see it has reopened in On Nut near to where I often stay when I'm in Bangkok. I know On Nut very well and will be sure to pop in to their new location the next time I'm in Bangkok. 

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 426 user(s)

The_Fat_Controller, GeeMan, Atticus, rb, bastax33, soi6, WeezinGeezer, timorno, Obsession, natureofnorway, BeerBelly, Inbound, blackrabbitz, Raistx, Grandpollo, The Mook, Nightrider, walt3, rawdonlad, expat67, Billions, Spice, nus01, Zidane, tourist5024, svenskyes, bruiser, glee, highlander, Rushman, Bar4, MC_Ldop, surfboardfactory, wombat51, kingkong, patcrazy, horizons, thailandmax, ShiftySteve, BENJI, steviemaast, iceice, tommyjg, hanson, redctt, dloser, etk, goldeni, petertaylor, BBB, astare, btm1735, Dennism, predatorbmw, uk118dk, Marquis58401, kikc69, glassdude007, rummi, jamcomp, presmike, desertrat, jogsuk, trapperjohn, mikte123, YabbaDabba-do, tayo, forest51, Patrick, ice3799, barkeeper, potnoodle, AussieG, Sparks, mafanabe, surestop, nittensytti3, gembee, hicom300, rracb, airborni, topgun7, Person, geordiegirl, Hub, rogero, PETERN, bobrob01, fttrading09, spike, baht_miser, Bear194, greenhorn, richardm, BBD, Rockhead, marleyboy, fasterfreddy, ron_jh, Stan, danboy, derzhava, teelack, plahgat, seadog, gerry67, ronrat, mmaaarrrkkk, Forever, Patna, hugobronson, grityorteef, fieser31, bigdaddyy15, aldo262, marklotus, sandyyy, ChickenWing, olli, howser, dmann100, yummiejan, LocalYokul, okanagan, algy, tibora, Geno, Topblue, JohnJr, ikkrang, CheshireTom, runanga, Parkwahn, tombon, N3RGT, cluster, Private Dancer, nadia, hydraunit, namnam, Gonzo, golfer2426, Yzi, Chris198t3, kenmale, jem23, lustyles, driftwood, lurker-b, ttez, moweex, veill, bigmick, gus in cebu, nakisses, harro1, jay5678, samaka, ctm, razraz, , cohiba1961, DrPat, vego2u, Force5, tq-dave, couqui, accyboy, jumbos, maxienz, syed, joeaf, pringlepringle, max_power, captainmainwaring, Daveuk, tahalum, aardvark, kev1967, CanadianGuy, worldxcess78, Gus, sparkydave, graymatter, sponio, assasaintim, Sailfast, kari, m_right, skaterp, ewert, broncobilly, odul001, nogo, elche, decki, DOLPHIN777, Monarch, MrHearse, Malzy, rsaran, goodwill, Nory, jonnydd, aarmitage9, djyuma, Jarex, terry68, MJKidd, Yujin, Roughneck, ranj, silverhedgehog, , jbaht1, arigold, beefos, wacmedia, hahimi, Butch, sabaidii2, ThaiLearner, yogi100, STARGAZER, papadoc, SunnyValentine, Dungheap, antmac, zyphur, Dave, Andyboy, forcebwithu, csm, InternationalTraveler, , nivla, brotherbuzz, laffnliv, Flurkske, johnboy1, odin1eye, lanzalad, Dm1980, TheFiend, dekalb45, LAMF, nkped, MM, tommyg, jimmac, jimbowx, retep1, Tilacno1, gkp, slazenger, glenjean, briar, BreathEZ, shambley, mjg2go, Dibbletoo, Calii, Counterpointing, papparog, dyer_made, pug, diver57, sonofsiam, Fatboyfat, JHolmesJr, prashantiem, Den, xvidotop2, Andtom, henryski, ketil_n, thegrogmonster, dream1302, midlifecrisis, stuarty, fast eddy, villaman, zaco59, kenya69, python, kingfuji, stu88, monochromeman, Manganelli, Bob Belzy, dheado, yaounde1, dddd, Chris100UK, grs90, statman208, stomper, papillon, cbrib, drzaz, Evil Penevil, robbo, buck22, 4niceight, PoolHustler, tolstitree, GeeGee, Gary, sinbinjack, spring123, typhoon42, Goldpanner, texasfarang, VPI78, Pumpuynarak, plantz, soi23, marz, maipenrai, miesnalle, carling, sirion13, repeter, Firepole, slaggan, darkmancomes, lukeinasia, kelantan, Blazer, pattayaman, munda4545, aguy2006, fredflint, aj, krotti1, eastoffife, Regyai, Big_Brian, beerboy, Scottie, Odense, GILHONOR9, sailingbill, PATFAN, short, tazzydevil, CyberSpud, InCider, rnine, flashkiwi, ttk, inky13, goldtop1, landy2a, fisherman194, Kev, yorta2, bkkbob40, enduser, mike_asia, conway, firth1974, Firedude, willconq66, Siam Sam, Biego, keyman, BigusDicus, js007, CalEden, Bazle, mrbill2, atlas2, jor, kuranda_bagman, Fireman Sam, yselmike, tallguy, PattayaPete, Jack Scagnetti, maik, braggsaw, LasRobos, Chang_paarp, travlr1134, SimplySam, Catbear, redwood13, KOJO, RhinoTusk, explorer, Owl_, chrisinjapan, lounge_lizard, pentire, telmah, Samsonite, chico, powinho, neilri2001, woody0563, mrlasvegas, Indiscipline, Harvey, billy69, Alphonse, knavjord, jaxcph, Top_Cat, ichy2, sarajevo, martini9946, benny31, Nelly, jojem1, Victor Lazlo, badtaya77, Fleurd, Bastenn, streeteats, john55, Foxydoxyh, Korasetq, Johntaw, Firnapv, jacko