RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

POPULAR

I visit The Pong about every 3 months and, while I feel embarrassed to admit it, I always seem to have a good time. 

DSC_4620.jpg

The Star of Light is world famous, of course.  There's been enough jizz generated there to flood a small city.

DSC_1737.jpg

Otherwise very quiet in the afternoon until the workers show up to build the night market.

DSC_4566.jpg DSC_1928.jpg DSC_1922.jpg DSC_4670.jpg DSC_1918.jpg DSC_1944.jpg DSC_1957.jpg

I live so close to Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy that I never come to Patpong to bar fine.  I come to Patpong for one reason only: :gulp

Prices have always been lower and I can order Long Island Iced Teas all night and get really wasted.  In fact, I haven't bar fined from The Pong since '03, this cutie from Kiss (not to be confused with Kiss on Soi Cowboy).

n014.jpg

Last night I took a walk down Soi Thaniya, until a tout informed me this was for "members only" and, while I could take pictures of the street, I wasn't allowed to take any picture of the girls. :shame:

DSC_1434.jpg DSC_1435.jpg DSC_1436.jpg DSC_1437.jpg DSC_1440.jpg

I always drink in the same 5 bars on Patpong:  Kings Castle I & II, Club Electric Blue, Pink Panther, and Bada Bing.  I tried the Black Pagoda once after stickman raved about it, before I realized they were an advertiser.  I don't know what's going on in the other bars.

I've been going to Kings Castle I & II for over 20 years, see my Bangkok Trip Report from 1992:

http://www.pattayata...s-ago-w-photos/

The bars are adjacent, they might do well to knock the wall down and consolidate, but they haven't invested in the property since I've been a customer.  Looks just the same as 20 years ago, except a Jack & Coke goes for 130 now (still better than paying 180 at Baccara).  They used to be prepay on drinks but now the customer signs each receipt, perhaps sending a message that it's going to be difficult to pad your bill.  As usual, there were some very attractive girls there. 1luv

Next stop was Pink Panther.  I love it when bars price all their cocktails the same, so a Long Island Iced Tea is 180 baht, same as a Singapore Sling.  Since this is Patpong I would expect that it be diluted, but it tastes like rocket fuel anyway, can't even taste the tea.  Went down so well that I ordered another.  I used to 'sober up' with an Irish Coffee here, but it's no longer on the menu. 

DSC_1443.jpg

All the girls dress as coyotes but they seem to have three classes of girls.  Some girls bar fine at the usual 600 baht while others bar fine much higher, and some girls can't be bar fined at all.  Make sure you know the class of girl before investing 180 baht in a lady drink.  At 11 PM they have Thai boxing, I always make sure I'm out of the bar by then.

By this time the night market was in full swing and the music bars had their bands playing marginally better than Country Road.

DSC_1449.jpg DSC_1455.jpg DSC_1456.jpg DSC_1478.jpg DSC_1482.jpg DSC_1476.jpg DSC_1472.jpg

Took a break for dinner at Le Bochon.  Lobster Bisque, Lamb Shank in a while bean sauce, and Creme Brulee, with a glass of red.  No Thai food on the menu, not an appropriate place to bring a bar girl for dinner, but a Star of Light girl under the table would be delightful. :P

DSC_1447.jpg

Lust of Bangkok?  I never saw this place before, the night market really obstructs visibility in the street.

DSC_1453.jpg

Next up was Club Electric Blue, and yet another Long Island Iced Tea.

DSC_2054.jpg DSC_2002.jpg DSC_2056.jpg

Last stop Bada Bing, and another Long Island for 200 baht.  I don't know how you feel after 18 shots of booze but I can hardly remember getting home, think I took a tuk tuk.  Found these shots in my camera this morning, so glad I didn't leave it in the bar.

DSC_1499.jpg DSC_1502.jpg DSC_1505.jpg DSC_1506.jpg DSC_1510.jpg DSC_1511.jpg

#2 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9818 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Great review and reminds me that I need to spend some time in Bangkok soon. 

#3 MM

MM

Hall O Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30907 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

Good grief. I haven't been to Patpong in over a decade. I got leery of the lady boy bars.. kept going into the wrong places and having to order a drink and put up with their importuning me to take them or buy a drink at least. I was new enough that it was just uncomfortable.
Also had an episode at an upstairs bar where my friend and I were hit up for a very high bill after one drink and a totally disgusting pussy show with what looked like a bonafide crack whore.
Spent the most time in Music Cafe after that. . Is it still there?

#4 plahgat

plahgat

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, Nature, Photography & Beautiful girls.
  • Sweden

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Nice review!

We go to the same gogos as well!

Didn't barfine from Patpong this year, but had a girl several times from Pink Panther last year.

As you said all girls in here dress in coyote wear, but some of them are still considered as gogo girls and will barfine for 600 baht and 2000 baht ST,

rest are agency girls and most doesn't barfine at all.

Plahgat

#5 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the comments.  Don't know the names of the live music places except Radio City and have never ventured into any of the upstairs bars. 

I had a thirst for some Crown Royal whiskey one afternoon so went into the Crown Royal bar, but they don't stock it.  Go figure. :clueless

Here's an interesting article describing the history of Patpong since the 1940s

http://www.theage.co...6982060480.html

A Stickman article from last year

http://www.stickmanb...ess-Patpong.htm

The Patpong Wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patpong

Edited by RhinoTusk, 15 August 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#6 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:07 PM

I just bought this camera at MBK and was trying it out.  Nice girl.

DSC_1523.jpg

#7 ikkrang

ikkrang

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I just bought this camera at MBK and was trying it out.  Nice girl.

[/url]

MBK?

I'm going to assume now, maybe at fotofile?

Sh what did you buy, RT?

Something small?

#8 Jboy

Jboy

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Women, Fun in LOS and not in any order.
  • Australia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

fantastic and informative stuff, definitely need to invest some time here on next BKK trip....... :thumbup

#9 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

MBK?

I'm going to assume now, maybe at fotofile?

Sh what did you buy, RT?

Something small?

No, I upsized to full frame from Photo AV.  Fotofile wanted 10,000 baht more for the same camera.  Here's a monitor lizard I found in Lumpini Park today.  I don't think you'll get this shot with a cell phone.

DSC_1790.JPG

#10 InCider

InCider

Advanced Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • United States

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Here's a couple of more articles regarding the history of Patpong that you might find interesting :smile:

http://www.thebigchi...e-son-tim-young

http://www.thebigchi...endary-soul-bar

#11 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

I made my semi-monthly visit to Patpong tonite and the usual bars: Kings Castle I & Ii, Club Electric Blue, Pink Panther, and Bada Bing. King's Castle raised the price of Jack & Coke from 130 to 150, but CEB still has 59 baht draft. As usual, I had the best time in Bada Bing but left the camera home this time.

After some Long Island Iced Teas, I enjoy taking a Tuk- Tuk back to Sukhumvit. They always asked for 200 and accepted 120. As a sign of the times, now they ask for 300 and won't take less than 150, it's less than a hundred on the meter. Fortunately, i started early and could use the BTS for 31 baht.

#12 tequilareef

tequilareef

Advanced Poster

• Business Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Piece of mind and some ass whenever possible
  • Thailand

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

Don't know why you feel embarrassed as I found my last two trips there to be quite good. Going to old haunts like the Pink Panther, Kiss and of course some Kings group bars. I found the Kings group bars to be quite shitty compared to others. I was impressed with Bada Bing. Back in the day, the Executive Lounge and especially the Crown Royal where massive expat hang outs but have since changed. Executive lounge isn't even there anymore. Used to be some nice hotties in there as I worked across the street in CP Tower so it was a nightly routine for many years. Superstar, Goldfinger's and Peppermint. 

#13 tequilareef

tequilareef

Advanced Poster

• Business Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Piece of mind and some ass whenever possible
  • Thailand

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Here's a couple of more articles regarding the history of Patpong that you might find interesting :smile:

http://www.thebigchi...e-son-tim-young

http://www.thebigchi...endary-soul-bar

I used to work with Tim (Wanchai) when he was running Tata's career, great link. May he rest in peace

Edited by tequilareef, 23 January 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#14 nadia

nadia

Junior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

i like the madrid tavern for people wathing and when the boys set the stalls up

#15 MM

MM

Hall O Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30907 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Fascinating stuff in that link!

It's well worth a read...I missed reading it when this was posted, but now I am glad I took the time.

#16 pattayaman

pattayaman

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

is thye pickled liver bar still there off soi 11 just past cheap charlies. had some good bights in there

#17 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

is thye pickled liver bar still there off soi 11 just past cheap charlies. had some good bights in there

You must have been pretty wasted. The Pickled Liver Pub is on Sukhumvit Soi 7/1, that's quite a ways from Patpong, but the pub is still there.

DSC_3538.jpg

Edited by RhinoTusk, 29 January 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#18 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

Heres a Patpong update:

Ive been a customer of Kings Castle I for 25 years and the owners never invested any money to improve the property, until this year. See my nostalgic 1992 trip report here:

http://www.pattayata...s-ago-w-photos/

Amazingly, Kings Castle I has been completely remodeled, with a new exterior sign and fully renovated interior. For those that prefer the old way, Kings Castle II next door is still the same. On any given night, these bars may have as good a lineup as any GoGo in Thailand (not to be confused with Kings Corner, which has ladyboys).

Sharks had opened a branch on the Surawong end but it didnt last very long.

It seems like the hawker in front of Barbar Fetish Club has been there forever.  I've never entered this bar.

Club Electric Blue is no longer a GoGo but now a high-end Steakhouse with prices that rival El Gauchos. Dont know about the quality. While examining the menu, the manager assured me they had the best steak on the Soi. I told him Le Bouchon was pretty good. The Smokin Pug was my favorite restaurant in the area, but they moved closer to Lumpini Park last year, so I usually head over to Samboon Seafood for a crab dinner, its about a 15 minute walk.

The third Bangkok Hooters now occupys what was previously Flam OBriens Irish Pub, on Soi Thaniya at the foot of the BTS.

Sorry, no pictures this post, but I did manage to leave my camera bag (with over 85,000 baht worth of equipment) in Pink Panther. I usually order a Long Island Iced Tea there and, thinking it was probably diluted, I ordered a second when the Bar had some real cuties. Perhaps the drink wasnt as watered down as I thought? Fortunately, my waitress chased me down the street like I was trying to run out on the check.

Edited by RhinoTusk, 17 June 2018 - 06:44 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patpong

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 213 user(s)

Idefix, short, nus01, tommyjg, natureofnorway, steveh, dream1302, iceice, CheshireTom, darkmancomes, sparkydave, Chilli Pepper, assasaintim, sdman36, veill, VPI78, bvthunder, Kev, ZARIS, cluster, ozboy, goldeni, Bazle, rb, Spice, SlipSlopSlap, derzhava, dheado, pattayanut, hillybilly, boss hogg, kuranda_bagman, buck22, Bear194, Jboy, ikkrang, mike_asia, m_right, thegrogmonster, fredflint, ToffeeAl, aardvark, csm, midlifecrisis, GlynRhedyn, dekalb45, hahimi, PETERN, Glynn, GREEN MALAKA, cohiba1961, slazenger, scottyb, MrHearse, LeoTex, Owl_, maxpower1971, ShiftySteve, hanson, broncobilly, Gus, sponio, retep1, ewert, jayjay49, Zidane, rummi, Nory, mister ho, Force5, baht_miser, stomper, fisherman194, druid62, larrymac90, enduser, Tilacno1, , shambley, tequilareef, Catbear, grs90, aldo262, mjg2go, firth1974, monkeyman, MM, yselmike, papillon, Scottie, tallguy, laffnliv, jimbowx, chrisinjapan, jem23, Evil Penevil, GeeGee, zyphur, BigusDicus, Blackwell, accyboy, tibora, B717, odul001, pattayaman, john5001, nadia, danboy, yaounde1, teelack, dirtydawg, Firedude, 4niceight, DOLPHIN777, plahgat, Dungheap, willconq66, bastax33, couqui, jimmac, billy69, diver57, CalEden, knavjord, dearly, terry68, Counterpointing, Malzy, rsaran, python, sonofsiam, rubinjames, Daveuk, beano, zaco59, skaterp, , Kjlreading, metron2003, fttrading09, papparog, JayMoon101, Liberalswede, bfoxy, cbrooklyne, c29395, Cinali, Andtom, woodie42, sabaidii2, ttk, too_mutt, marleyboy, js007, glee, Billions, telmah, InCider, explorer, nkped, jacko, yorta2, Chang_paarp, bkkbob40, john55, jor, sailingbill, Fireman Sam, PattayaPete, statman208, maik, keyman, kingfuji, powinho, Britboy, Big_Brian, conway, syd_tybil, villaman, Odense, RhinoTusk, redwood13, fast eddy, Gary, rnine, CyberSpud, travlr1134, streeteats, peterbutterfly, dddd, robbo, groover, sandancer, The_Fat_Controller, Firepole, lounge_lizard, goldtop1, Manganelli, cbrib, snowbird, Indiscipline, rascall, basse45, razraz, PATFAN, mrlasvegas, hwells, chico, Nelly, tourist5024, nivla, titan, Victor Lazlo