How to donate to the board server fund

Photo

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated April 5, 2018)

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

Great reviews many thanks.

Seems Kilkenny is the current favourite........ any luck with the Service girl

No luck so far.  She wasn't there on Australia Day.

Evil

:devil

#202 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • United States

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Great reviews many thanks.

Seems Kilkenny is the current favourite........

Yes, it is one of my favorites.  For those of you who like big burgers  and especially Australian-style burgers with beetroot, fried egg and grilled pineapple,  Kilkenny's has added to its menu the Ozzie Works burger reviewed in post #199.  Kilkenny does a good job with farang comfort food and its daily specials are great value for money. From Kilkenny's FB page:

Capture.JPG.2d260557f86505f894a6af1a54f9

Evil

#203 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • United States

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:07 AM

POPULAR

I hadn't been into White Pines for several months because of some disappointing meals in the wake of last year's staff hassles. However, I'd heard about the new chef and wanted to try his food. At 11.00 p.m., I was the only customer- not a good sign-  although one other person entered while I was there.

I didn't have to wait long for my meal-  I ordered the salmon with garlic rice- and it was quite good, especially the garlic rice.

b.jpg.b4f3b5028982a097024658847760c1d5.j

The salmon was fresh and cooked properly,  not at all dry.  The garlic "chips" atop the rice has also been fried perfectly and added a nice accent.  The dill sauce was also good.  This meal harked back to the White Pines of the past.

When White Pines opened in November,  2016, it gained a reputation for offering excellent food at bargain prices.  The female chef at the time clearly knew how to make Western food, Italian in particular.   White Pines' location also made it very convenient for visitors to Walking Street.

However, when the chef left WP in October last year, the quality of the food slid significantly and the recovery process has been bumpy to say the least. 

c.jpg.8bcb7c1c278f30de7a58a39c37aab6ba.j

It wasn't the biggest piece of salmon I've had in Pattaya, but at 195 baht, it was good value for money thanks to the quality.

d.jpg.97a4857abb7de7757eac5eb8da85a97c.j

This was only one meal, but it was certainly encouraging, enough so that I'll be back.  Next time I'll try the calamari to see if it has regained its previous heights.  I couldn't fault the service in any way.  At the end of the meal,  the chef came out of the kitchen and asked via the waitress if everything had been O.K.  I said yes and complimented him on the sauce and garlic chips.

White Pines has printed up a new menu, but the offerings don't seem to have changed up. It's now open between 5 p.m. and 2 a.m. ,  but closed Tuesdays.

IMG_0035.jpg.4fffbc2238199edbce52252182b

Untitled-3.jpg.0da7598e8bc254d0c73411c41
Photos of some of the menu pages.
Untitled-4.jpg.43c03cd68fcdf1daa438fd1c2

This is real fusion cooking for you: Tom Yum Quinoa and Krapow Quinoa with salmon.  I'm sure the early Andean people would be proud.

Untitled-2.jpg.b0b1d5b2ae79545dc5b34144c

Physically, not much has changed with White Pines since it opened 16 months ago.  It's still clean, well-lit and comfortable.

IMG_0037a.jpg.5fa1f5382dfe8d23758c0de13e

IMG_0038.jpg.2c3cc3c27dfe5312d6ceb0252fc

Bottom line:  I haven't abandoned hope for White Pines and will be back to see if the improvement is lasting.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 27 March 2018 - 05:09 AM.

#204 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35012 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:51 AM

Great report EP. But be careful out there, I recall an incident you had in the past.

Pattaya expat threatened with jail after posting negative restaurant review online.

Thai Visa.

#205 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • United States

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Great report EP. But be careful out there, I recall an incident you had in the past.

Pattaya expat threatened with jail after posting negative restaurant review online.

Thai Visa.

WTF??? Fourteen pages and over 200 posts in the Thai Visa thread, but no one will name the restaurant!!!  Why is everyone so scared?   Is the restaurant owned by the Corleone family and managed by Luca Brasi?

No matter how strict the defamation laws are in Thailand, you can't be charged for writing something like "XYZ is the name of the restaurant that was reviewed."

I'm not a member of the Breakfast Club or any other Facebook food group, so I have no idea what this is really about.  But if anyone knows the name of the restaurant, could you please PM me if you don't want to post it in this thread?  I'd like to visit that restaurant and write my own review.

Evil

#206 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 28 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

...At 11.00 p.m., I was the only customer- not a good sign-  although one other person entered while I was there.

That was you Monday night?  I had the spicy seafood pasta whilst unsuccessfully trying to sober up (with an Irish Coffee).  I would have said 'Hi' if only I'd known it was you.  :bhappy

Cheers!

#207 flashkiwi

flashkiwi

Junior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Australia

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

Great report, will try on my next trip, helps guys who only go to pattaya twice a year.

#208 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35012 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:36 AM

That was you Monday night?  I had the spicy seafood pasta whilst unsuccessfully trying to sober up (with an Irish Coffee).  I would have said 'Hi' if only I'd known it was you.  :bhappy

Cheers!

I actually thought you two guys had gone together when I read you had both been there same night!

#209 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

I actually thought you two guys had gone together when I read you had both been there same night!

I bar fine early, understand?

#210 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • United States

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:44 PM

Cheers!

No, that wasn't me.  I was there Sunday night.  The other customer who came in while I was there was a WS go go bar manager.

Evil

#211 Chang_paarp

Chang_paarp

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:25 AM

WTF??? Fourteen pages and over 200 posts in the Thai Visa thread, but no one will name the restaurant!!!  Why is everyone so scared?   Is the restaurant owned by the Corleone family and managed by Luca Brasi?

No matter how strict the defamation laws are in Thailand, you can't be charged for writing something like "XYZ is the name of the restaurant that was reviewed."

I'm not a member of the Breakfast Club or any other Facebook food group, so I have no idea what this is really about.  But if anyone knows the name of the restaurant, could you please PM me if you don't want to post it in this thread?  I'd like to visit that restaurant and write my own review.

Evil

I trawled through the entire thread on BCP looking for a hint to the establishment with no joy. Unfortunately the offending post (and resulting thread) has been deleted by the original poster. The admin of BCP said they would not have deleted the post and would have supported the poster in the event of legal action eventuating as it was far from the harshest review in the group.  There is some speculation it was a manager rather than the owner who made the threat.

The upshot is that the restaurant manager or owner  has learned that making a threat like that might not be the best business decision.

#212 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Wow-20110531.jpg   Eighteen pages and over 260 posts in the thread on Thai Visa about the threatened defamation action but NO ONE dares to name the restaurant.  If I ever do learn the name and pay the establishment a visit, I will definitely be on the lookout for Luca Brasi.  The owner (or manager) must indeed inspire fear.

luca.gif

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 29 March 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#213 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6044 posts
  • United States

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Another update on White Pines.  I had the pumpkin soup-

IMG_0096A.jpg.11bcabb710e74082f88adc1842

and everyone's former favorite, the calamari-

IMG_0099.jpg.60133aab56dfb3d84baa24a0459

Both were pretty good, but still not quite up to the former standard.  I know pumpkin soup isn't a "big taste" item, but it seemed a bit too bland,  just not enough pumpkin flavor.  The garlic bread was excellent.

IMG_0100.jpg.425e716282a4d41e8cef1dc9a0d

In terms of portion size and preparation, the calamari was closer to the version we all loved.  The garlic had been added as before.  Maybe it's only psychological, but I just felt something was missing in terms of flavor.  If the calamari before the staff change had been a 9 in my estimation, this was a 7.

I didn't see the male chef this time round, but two females were working in the kitchen.  Service was quick and friendly, but again, only one other customer.

Bottom line:  The jury is still out, but there are positive signs from White Pines.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 13 April 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#214 MeGoDanceNow

MeGoDanceNow

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10756 posts
  • Interests:Being a Quality TouristŪ
  • Thailand

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

I've been in there a few times this month. The White Pines Pizza with strips of salmon is delicious. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 299 user(s)

harro1, michaelday, wacojacko, seanss, Grandpollo, ttk, Goldpanner, simplywet, Hawkster, DP Gumbypgh, alexist, latingypsy, maik, bat123, fook, jumbos, halfaboy, Saddic, Jack Scagnetti, PETERN, panko, morg, johnboy1, fttrading09, sonofsiam, darkmancomes, soi unwise, losgrad, Chilli Pepper, wanderer, saints, coxy, Sargo, up2usexyman, chas, jimmac, surry, Baxer, steamer, Steef, atlas2, the trick, andys, maximus_d, svenskyes, Arsenal, yogi100, wobbly_1, Canuckdave, SimplySam, GHJKL, dennismoore, Fatboyfat, cluster, bluescreen, Idefix, geordie48, tomchin, Wardrobe, DaveB, sound and vision, Paul039, BENJI, joeaf, Chester007, forest51, dyer_made, Counterpointing, Indiscipline, frankie8, paulvinsan, gilbert, GulfportBob, ttownjeff, GeeMan, Anfield, goldy40, Lucky, tonythai6, sparkydave, aldo262, lamai, Desmond Jones, roderick17, mmaaarrrkkk, stoddie, maxwell, Malzy, iceice, capdagde, twitter, cartmanfinn, sh7691, Gary, Slobbert, whittler, Shuggy, Spooky, mrgreenjeans, Gawd Elpus, eastoffife, Happy Knackers, texasfarang, InternationalTraveler, davee77, bbbandit, elche, Rub&Buah, aussiechic, ozboy, lellexp, plahgat, Tilacno1, Travel4ever, fatnerd, bastos60, chico, plutoniumhunter, cgas2, Steffe, djyuma, ketil_n, Itsgat, mississippi, rnine, mrlasvegas, valentinoxxx, buck22, GREEN MALAKA, PigBoy#1, hahimi, cannonball83204, 4wheels, Bullfrog, Patna, fizzog3, AllenBlue, Bazle, Zeus, stuarty, mcjimmys, Alphonse, pilotman, jezza, tibora, badtaya77, tolstitree, EnglishPaul, fosse, Parkwahn, AALFIE, bruiser, BigDUSA, Firepole, lou62, fi33er, Bobbyv, thechairman18, TheFiend, rambler349, LasRobos, Fornicator, BILLYH, python, Grahamxxx, neilri2001, BritMonkey, bigbadbaz, groover, assasaintim, ozerob, MM, PATFAN, Big_Brian, brotherbuzz, statman208, midlifecrisis, Allover, Biego, Roko, CyberSpud, Regyai, basse45, kingfisher, redwood13, Taltos, Blackwell, cohiba1961, fisherman194, jomtienguy, conway, BigusDicus, N3RGT, sammybagel, sdgran, aguy2006, Mundi, Odense, Mikemanc, yorta2, beechnut3, wacmedia, thaifruits, Kproject, somat, nus01, teelack, priory, forcebwithu, marxere, billy69, carling, KingBee, mingus, Gabor, kratos, ajsp9, dv34917, grs90, buzzfuzz1, tommyjg, flashkiwi, Rawhide2, fredflint, bastax33, gs joe, braggsaw, drzaz, Dungheap, marleyboy, kingarthur, thegrogmonster, SlipSlopSlap, keyman, AtlantaJoe, woody0563, Nightrider, Butch, Landshark, grityorteef, kingfuji, short, cottesloe, Rushman, dheado, RhinoTusk, js007, syd_tybil, helloitsme, willconq66, Billions, Kev, sabaidii2, Fireman Sam, 9cisco999, BeerBelly, Chang_paarp, Scottie, mackers, lurkmaster5000, razraz, aj, chrisinjapan, hjr, MeGoDanceNow, JONPAT, pattysteve, dream1302, robbo, beerboy, Catbear, The_Fat_Controller, jacko, telmah, kuranda_bagman, glee, tallguy, jor, explorer, cbrib, Evil Penevil, lounge_lizard, trikidiki, parry, sailingbill, stomper, nkped, fast eddy, bkkbob40, gkp, Bear194, dddd, Harvey, Stan, knavjord, sleepwalker, sinbinjack, ozfarang, shamcurtin