How to donate to the board server fund

Photo

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated Aug. 16, 2018)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#226 wacmedia

wacmedia

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11249 posts
  • Interests:Wine,women and fast horses
  • Eritrea

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:43 AM

Hi,

I think its sensible to charge without the sides as I can't corn and I would be paying for something I can't eat. Some of those burgers nearly give me a heart attack looking at them. :D :scared:

#227 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

I had the planked pork tenderloin at Harry's on Soi Diana last night. It was very tasty and filling for 195 baht.

IMG_0232.jpg

It consisted of two pieces of tender pork on a bed of mixed vegetables and brown gravy surrounded by mashed potatoes. A grilled tomato, a piece of sweet corn, two bacon-wrapped spears of asparagus and bearnaise sauce were the other accompaniments.   

IMG_0235.jpg

I've seen more attractive presentations of Swedish plankstek, but there was nothing wrong with the taste.

IMG_0233.jpg

Bottom line: I wouldn't hesitant to order it again.  I'll also be back to try the version with imported Australian beef, but that is double the price limit for this thread.

Evil

:devil

#228 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:18 AM

Rinapp Ristorante is a small Italian restaurant on Soi 13/1 (Soi Yamato) between 2nd Road and Beach Road. I had the pasta alla puttanesca (whore's pasta) a couple of days ago, It was good but not great at 290 baht.

IMG_0238.jpg

I had a choice of pasta (linguine, penne or spaghetti) and I picked spaghetti.  Several explanations exist as to why it's called whore's pasta. The most likely is that puttanesca is a quick and easy sauce invented by prostitutes who had only a short time to prepare meals between customers.  Another explanation claims it got its name because the sauce "has everything in it."  Garlic, capers, anchovies, chili and black olives add taste to the tomato-based sauce.

IMG_0240.jpg

The sauce was good but lacked the "big flavors" that puttanescais supposed to have. I thought the chef had been a bit stingy with the anchovies and olives. The portion was also a bit small for 290 baht.

Bottom line:  I'll be back to try some other Italian dishes on Rinapp's extensive menu.

Evil

#229 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

Time for an update on Hachiban Ramen 8 in Tukcom.  I did a longer review here, so I won't repeat the basics.

IMG_0280.jpg

A few days ago I had the cold noodles in a lemony sauce with Japanese roast pork, egg, shrimp, cucumber and ham, garnished with pickled ginger and a dab of mayonnaise.

IMG_0279.jpg

It was good at 98 baht.  The lemon sauce was particularly tasty.  Water cost 18 baht for a bottle, so the total bill was 116 baht.

IMG_0287.jpg

Yesterday I was back at Tukcom and tried a set meal at 155 baht for pork noodle soup, six pieces of gyoza and a glass of Coke. 

IMG_0303.jpg

Again, it was good and quite filling.

IMG_0307.jpg

It's not the most exciting Japanese food I've had in Pattaya, but it goes down easily and is fine for a quick meal in a sit-down restaurant with A/C.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Bottom line:  I don't think I would make a special trip to eat at Ramen 8, but when I'm in Tukcom the next time and feel hungry, I won't hesitate to try it again

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 20 July 2018 - 08:35 PM.

#230 Chang_paarp

Chang_paarp

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Australia

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:54 PM

The funny thing about Puttanesca is that it does not have any meat in it. 

#231 chippendalesam

chippendalesam

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • United States

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:08 AM

Time for an update on Hachiban Ramen 8 in Tukcom.  I did a longer review here, so I won't repeat the basics.

IMG_0280.jpg

A few days ago I had the cold noodles in a lemony sauce with Japanese roast pork, egg, shrimp, cucumber and ham, garnished with pickled ginger and a dab of mayonnaise.

IMG_0279.jpg

It was good at 98 baht.  The lemon sauce was particularly tasty.  Water cost 18 baht for a bottle, so the total bill was 116 baht.

IMG_0287.jpg

Yesterday I was back at Tukcom and tried a set meal at 155 baht for pork noodle soup, six pieces of gyoza and a glass of Coke. 

IMG_0303.jpg

Again, it was good and quite filling.

IMG_0307.jpg

It's not the most exciting Japanese food I've had in Pattaya, but it goes down easily and is fine for a quick meal in a sit-down restaurant with A/C.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

Bottom line:  I don't think I would make a special trip to eat at Ramen 8, but when I'm in Tukcom the next time and feel hungry, I won't hesitate to try it again

Evil

#232 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

IMG_0175.jpg

Freshly made gnocchi (potato-filled dumplings) with ground beef sauce at Pizza Italy off Soi Bukhao for 220 baht.  This is a hearty dish perhaps better suited for snowy winter evenings than the tropical heat of Thailand, so fresh gnocchi is hard to find  in Pattaya.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Pizza Italy can also be find hard to find, or at least explain where it is. However, the map is NOT to scale.  Pizza Italy is close to Soi 15  and much closer to Soi Diana than Pattaya Tai.

Untitled-1.jpg

Consistently good Italian food by an Italian chef at reasonable prices. 

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 02 August 2018 - 03:04 AM.

#233 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 25 July 2018 - 11:45 PM

Pizza Italy has a pretty enthusiastic crew.  From its Facebook page:

PizzaItaly.JPG

The caption of the photo below was "GNOCCHI- My passion."  

31241576_2037016183213025_4185837464113381376_n.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 02 August 2018 - 03:07 AM.

#234 aussiechic

aussiechic

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2277 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing,Love driving cars in the dirt and Love travelling to Thailand.
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Hi Evil can i ask you to review a little French restaurant Le Freelax down the Soi behind the Buffalo bar.

#235 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

Hi Evil can i ask you to review a little French restaurant Le Freelax down the Soi behind the Buffalo bar.

Yes,  I'd be happy to try.  I have been to Le Freelax twice, but no luck either time.  First time it was closed, second time it was full.  It wasn't actually, but they were holding tables for regular customers.  Would anyone happen to know the hours at Le Freelax?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 26 July 2018 - 05:00 PM.

#236 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14185 posts
  • United States

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

I searched and could only find a phone number on multiple links

+66 89 752 9656

#237 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:49 AM

IMG_0002.jpg.a2579be8f626af67b3c37bbf3b5

For a late night snack or even a light meal, Yakuza Burger on Soi Marine (aka Soi Lucky Star)  just off Walking Street has been a safe bet for a long time. It's open until 6.00 a.m. every day. While most noted for its burgers (beef, chicken and fish), it also serves up hot dogs, toasties, panini, fried shrimp, chicken nuggets and spaghetti. 

IMG_0003.jpg.581e7124d8170f2ba013a12a370

Everything is cooked to order in front of the customer.  The grill, food preparation area and counter were very clean, which isn't always the case at hamburger stalls. You sit on a stool at the counter, but it was more comfortable than the butt-assaulting stools at similar burger stands.

IMG_0007.jpg.e78e8249d322589d2079cafc147

This morning at 3.15 a.m. I had the 99-baht cheeseburger.  It consisted of a thick beef patty, a slice of processed cheese, fried onion, tomato and lettuce on a toasted sesame bun.  The ingredients were fresh and it tasted fine.  It's not a large burger, but it was enough for me at that hour.

IMG_0005.jpg.7459d0d92355bb16bbee93eacfb

The friendly cook asked me to take her picture.

Bottom line:  This is one of my go-to places for a quick hamburger or hot dog after a night on WS.  There was a steady stream past Yakuza Burger of girls who' work in bars that close at 3.00 a.m.  Some of them smiled at me very invitingly.

Evil

#238 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14185 posts
  • United States

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:39 AM

I was hoping she had a green badge but then again I am incorigible.

#239 wacmedia

wacmedia

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11249 posts
  • Interests:Wine,women and fast horses
  • Eritrea

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

The sauce was good but lacked the "big flavors" that puttanescais supposed to have. I thought the chef had been a bit stingy with the anchovies and olives. The portion was also a bit small for 290 baht.

Evil

Hi,

Anchovies are expensive in Europe, maybe the same there ?

#240 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

I tried Wednesday's special at Retox Game On (Soi Honey near 2nd Road)  by accident.  I was walking past, it started to rain and I didn't have an umbrella, so I ducked in to have dinner while I waited for the rain to stop.

IMG_0093.jpg

Conceptually, the day's special sounded a bit weird to me.  Why serve Chinese chicken balls with chips and curry sauce?   Was that what made it "English style?" Anyway, I gave it a try. I asked if I could substitute extra fried rice for the chips and the waitress readily agreed.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

I'm including this in the "Good" thread because the chicken balls themselves were very nice- lightly battered pieces of chicken breast, fried crispy but juicy on the inside. 

IMG_0090.jpg

I was less impressed with the rest of the meal.  The curry sauce was the blandest I've ever tasted-  no heat and almost no curry flavor.  The egg fried rice couldn't have fried for long, if at all. It seemed to me it was boiled rice mixed with peas and bits of fried egg. It tasted OK, but could have done with some seasoning.

Why in the world Retox didn't serve the chicken balls with a sweet and sour sauce on the side I can't begin to guess.  That strikes me as a more natural pairing than curry sauce and chips.  I livened up my chicken balls and rice with a few splashes of Tabasco and seasoning sauce from the condiment box. 

Portion size isn't a major concern for me.  I'd rather have a modest amount of good food on my plate than a heaping portion of mediocre or poor food.  The special consisted of eight chicken balls and rice.  It was OK for me as I wasn't very hungry,  but I can imagine others would find it rather meager, even with chips.  There are farang restaurants nearby where you can get a bigger meal for 150 baht or under.

Retox Game On is offering Hanoi Beer from Viet Nam at 95 baht. It also has an "all-you-can-drink" offer on Tiger draft on Mondays between 6.00 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. for 499 baht.

IMG_0089.jpg ....IMG_0094.jpg

Bottom line:  For me,  it was a good meal because of the quality of the chicken balls.  I'm less sure it was a good special at 149 baht.

Evil

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3), Google (1)

This topic has been visited by 320 user(s)

harro1, michaelday, wacojacko, seanss, Grandpollo, ttk, Goldpanner, simplywet, Hawkster, DP Gumbypgh, alexist, latingypsy, maik, bat123, fook, jumbos, halfaboy, PETERN, panko, morg, johnboy1, fttrading09, sonofsiam, darkmancomes, soi unwise, losgrad, wanderer, saints, coxy, Sargo, up2usexyman, chas, jimmac, surry, Baxer, steamer, Steef, atlas2, the trick, andys, maximus_d, svenskyes, Arsenal, yogi100, wobbly_1, SimplySam, GHJKL, dennismoore, Fatboyfat, cluster, bluescreen, Idefix, geordie48, tomchin, Wardrobe, DaveB, sound and vision, Paul039, joeaf, Chester007, forest51, dyer_made, Counterpointing, frankie8, paulvinsan, gilbert, GulfportBob, ttownjeff, GeeMan, Anfield, goldy40, Lucky, tonythai6, sparkydave, aldo262, lamai, Desmond Jones, roderick17, mmaaarrrkkk, stoddie, maxwell, Malzy, iceice, capdagde, twitter, cartmanfinn, sh7691, Slobbert, whittler, Shuggy, Spooky, mrgreenjeans, Gawd Elpus, Happy Knackers, texasfarang, davee77, bbbandit, elche, Rub&Buah, ozboy, lellexp, plahgat, Tilacno1, Travel4ever, fatnerd, bastos60, chico, plutoniumhunter, cgas2, Steffe, djyuma, ketil_n, Itsgat, mississippi, rnine, mrlasvegas, valentinoxxx, buck22, GREEN MALAKA, PigBoy#1, hahimi, cannonball83204, 4wheels, Bullfrog, Patna, fizzog3, Zeus, stuarty, mcjimmys, pilotman, jezza, tibora, badtaya77, tolstitree, EnglishPaul, Parkwahn, AALFIE, bruiser, BigDUSA, lou62, fi33er, Bobbyv, thechairman18, LasRobos, Fornicator, Grahamxxx, neilri2001, BritMonkey, bigbadbaz, groover, ozerob, MM, brotherbuzz, statman208, Allover, Biego, Roko, CyberSpud, Regyai, basse45, kingfisher, Taltos, Blackwell, jomtienguy, N3RGT, sammybagel, sdgran, aguy2006, Mundi, Mikemanc, beechnut3, thaifruits, Kproject, somat, teelack, billy69, KingBee, mingus, Gabor, grs90, Rawhide2, Butch, Landshark, grityorteef, Rushman, Kev, BeerBelly, mackers, lurkmaster5000, beerboy, Harvey, sleepwalker, ozfarang, shamcurtin, SlipSlopSlap, AllenBlue, Taipan, InternationalTraveler, BENJI, Atticus, john5001, fisherman194, Bear194, Nightrider, short, woody0563, TheFiend, BILLYH, ajsp9, Chilli Pepper, Jack Scagnetti, fredflint, too_mutt, Canuckdave, Barcode, python, cohiba1961, parry, Spock, 9cisco999, RhinoTusk, syd_tybil, nus01, marleyboy, kingfuji, PATFAN, AtlantaJoe, Indiscipline, rambler349, gkp, expat67, redwood13, navy7575, chrisinjapan, pattysteve, fast eddy, aj, BigusDicus, hjr, bigmick, Firepole, Gary, dddd, stomper, tko, dv34917, Dungheap, The_Fat_Controller, InCider, telmah, martini9946, JONPAT, Saddic, Glynn, conway, kratos, assasaintim, Big_Brian, cottesloe, Stan, Olded, willconq66, Siam Sam, Fondles, sabaidii2, snowbird, thegrogmonster, razraz, tommyjg, flashkiwi, dream1302, priory, bastax33, Chang_paarp, cbrib, explorer, buzzfuzz1, hanylek, fosse, dphoude, trikidiki, bkkbob40, drzaz, braggsaw, Alphonse, wacmedia, sailingbill, js007, dheado, helloitsme, gs joe, yorta2, tallguy, forcebwithu, ahainu, spiderman, aussiechic, Odense, carling, MeGoDanceNow, eastoffife, sinbinjack, Evil Penevil, keyman, glee, knavjord, Catbear, lounge_lizard, Bazle, marxere, jacko, midlifecrisis, jor, Fireman Sam, kuranda_bagman, nkped, Scottie, kingarthur, Billions, robbo