#201 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12742 posts
  • United States

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

I can't edit my last response. Not sure why but wanted to add that American Gods is not bad. Not great but good. Ian McShane is still great.

#202 MM

MM

Hall O Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30714 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Baby Driver is one of the best movies that I've seen in 2017.  Fast car chases, violent criminals, good music . . . the success formula for a guy's movie. 

Looks really good...downloading now! Thanks!

#203 MM

MM

Hall O Fame

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30714 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

I can't edit my last response. Not sure why but wanted to add that American Gods is not bad. Not great but good. Ian McShane is still great.

I'm not interested in a second season...it sort of left me wondering why I spent hours watching it. Too quirky for me. 

I hope the book was better.

BTW, the flies were a memorable touch. I did like that story line.

#204 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12742 posts
  • United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

I'm not interested in a second season...it sort of left me wondering why I spent hours watching it. Too quirky for me. 

I hope the book was better.

BTW, the flies were a memorable touch. I did like that story line.

Yes for that genre of character it was handled in a way that was not cliche.

It was available on a Starz free week. I won't go out of my way to watch season two. I think I liked it a bit more than you did. It had some interesting moments. The use of gods across numerous pantheons was an interesting concept. Without McShane it would not have been a very good show. I was not really a fan of his in the Lovejoy days but he grew on me. Was really great on Deadwood.

#205 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12742 posts
  • United States

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

I usually do not write long reviews on movies. Typically I just sort of give it a thumbs up or down with minimal comments.

"First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers" is an exception to that.

The movie is available on streaming Netflix but not yet on disc from Netflix.

https://dvd.netflix....f09_1_acomplete

http://www.imdb.com/...6/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The movie is about the Khmer Rouge takeover of Cambodia in the mid 1970's. It is based on a book by Loung Ung and the main character is a young girl named Loung. The movie was directed by Angelina Jolie and so it is filmed in an American style while all of the dialogue is Khmer (subtitled). 

The main actress is I would guess 10 or 11 at the time of filming. Her name is Sareum Srey Moch. The actor who plays her father is a tremendous actor. His name is Phoeung Kompheak. 

The movie was shot in Siem Reap province from what I saw in the credits. The final scene takes place on one of the smaller ancient temple complexes north of Siem Reap, which at this time I cannot identify. It is the Cambodian counterpoint to the western "The Killing Fields". The Killing Fields was important in its time. This movie is important lest we not forget and so we understand the nature of what occurred (the point of the book and movie).

The movie is over two hours long but it is never boring. It takes you from the entry of Khmer Rouge forces into a city, forcing all citizens to leave to the country for re-education. It shows how ruthlessly organized the Khmer Rouge were. In its ruthlessness there is an incredible organization under force of arms which starts with the seizing of arms from the population. Those who worked for the previous government are on a death list if discovered, hence the title.

The movie goes from forced labor under starvation conditions to using children as weapons of war.

If you know or think you know Cambodia, this is a movie worth watching. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. I watch a lot of film so I notice small flaws, hence almost nothing gets a five from me. With a trip coming up for me to Siem Reap, I am really glad I was able to see this film. It put human faces on history which The Killing Fields only put a heroic face on one particular character and seemed too simplistic by comparison.

The Khmer Rouge in one manner or another killed 25% of the Cambodian population. It is amazing what a minority in power can do when it has absolute power. Some of the behavior by the Khmer Rouge included the humiliation of monks (parasites) and to cut the heads off of Buddha statues, the latter is something echoed today by the Taliban and ISIS..

MLC

Edited by midlifecrisis, 17 September 2017 - 01:41 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 106 user(s)

awesum4, aussiechic, Malzy, seanss, kaiser71, Goldpanner, Evil Penevil, Siam Sam, PoolHustler, Catbear, Billions, ikkrang, flashkiwi, Chang_paarp, goldtop1, assasaintim, Brewmaster, JONPAT, firth1974, Bear194, Nightrider, InternationalTraveler, bastax33, SlipSlopSlap, chrisinjapan, michaelday, qman, LBJ, buck22, Chilli Pepper, Bob Belzy, Gawd Elpus, kuranda_bagman, Glynn, monkeyman, billy69, losgrad, Kev, Blackwell, Odense, grs90, Darley, lanzalad, Shaun, marleyboy, Jack Scagnetti, keyman, fosse, Counterpointing, dv34917, willconq66, BigDUSA, 007cableguy, Chipper41, Stan, twitter, js007, Dave, rnine, kingarthur, papillon, sinbinjack, sailingbill, bkkbob40, ozerob, laffnliv, nkped, python, tallguy, Bushcraft, pattysteve, we2nu, GREEN MALAKA, yogi100, Bullfrog, atlas2, brotherbuzz, PattayaPete, Patna, jor, ozboy, ichy2, Fireman Sam, thaiali, Scottie, buzzfuzz1, BigusDicus, sabaidii2, Idefix, drzaz, Yujin, MM, Big_Brian, midlifecrisis, explorer, redwood13, jacko, fast eddy, Butch, short, robbo, lounge_lizard, forcebwithu, gs joe, lellexp, tlcwaterfall