Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

POPULAR

DSC_7143.jpg

The "city of three mists" in the northwest corner of Thailand, capital of the province. Remote and mountainous, nestled in a narrow valley just a few kilometers from the border with Myanmar.  About 260 km from Chiang Mai, 5.5 hours by minibus because of the 1,864 curves in the road.  Pai lies about halfway and draws most of the tourists, making Mae Hong Son an excellent destination to escape the hordes.  Temperatures ranged from an afternoon high of 37 to an evening low of 15.

ARRIVAL

I didn't care to spend 5.5 hours (each way) on a minibus, so I took the Bangkok Air prop plane from Chiang Mai, a 30 minute flight.  Fares will remain competitive as long as more than one airline services the airport.

DSC_6750.jpg

DSC_6734.jpg

Alternately, Kan Air uses the more modern jet aircraft

DSC_6748.jpg

Stayed at the Panarama Hotel, centrally located, 600 baht during high season, clean but basic.  The elderly woman that runs it is very friendly and helpful.

DSC_6766.jpg

DSC_6957.jpg

Wat Jong Kham

Situated on the lake in the middle of town.  

DSC_6784.jpg

DSC_6818.jpg

DSC_6821.jpg

DSC_6864.jpg

A helicopter dropped some para-gliders

DSC_6881.jpg

Street vendors appear at sunset as folks gather to picnic or for a leisurely stroll around the lake.

DSC_7236.jpg

DSC_6883.jpg

DSC_6885.jpg

DSC_6896.jpg

Tried a few restaurants on the lake.  Sunflower was just OK but the Salween River restaurant, near the police station, was better. 

DSC_7238.jpg

Featuring Sham and Burmese food, as well as Thai, I ordered this chicken casserole, portion was more than I could finish, for 70 baht.

DSC_7246.jpg

Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu

Towering over the valley, the twin stupas aren't that impressive but do offer some nice views.

DSC_6948.jpg

DSC_7231.jpg

DSC_7204.jpg

You can ring the bell without having to buy everyone a round.

DSC_7216.jpg

Su Tong Pae, The Bamboo Bridge

About 12 kilometers north of town, a lovely 900 meter bamboo bridge spanning rice paddies, connecting the village of Ban Kung Mai Sak with temple Wat Pu Sama.

DSC_7115.jpg

DSC_7052.jpg

DSC_7027.jpg

There's actually two bridges, one for just crossing the river

DSC_7071.jpg

This couple caught out in the sun too long

DSC_7012.jpg

Some other interesting characters about

DSC_7093.jpg

DSC_7094.jpg

DSC_7117.jpg

Nightlife

The Crossroads biker bar stays open "late" (i.e. midnight).  At the town's busiest intersection, by 11 PM there's vehicle every 3-4 minutes.  Two hot young farang women were leaving just as I was arriving, noticed them earlier by the lake, slamming down large bottles of Chang.  I took a seat at the open air bar and ordered a drink just as one of the girls dropped her pants, squatted, and took a pee in the street.  It's not that there wasn't a woman's toilet in the bar, but maybe it was out of order?

DSC_6768.jpg

DSC_6927.jpg

Next Up: Pai

Minibus leaves at noon, 150 baht either to Pai (106 km) or Chiang Mai (260 km). 

DSC_7321.jpg

See my Pai picture report.

http://www.pattayata...opic/64434-pai/

Edited by RhinoTusk, 10 March 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#2 Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3256 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

Excllent photos!!

One for your diary...There is a road being built from Loikaw in Myanmar accross to MHS.....Now THAT will be a beautiful drive through the mountains..

Some of your pics could well have been of Loikaw as they seem identical...and the Burmese food is easy to spot as it has a quarter inch of oil around the outside.....

#3 Dungheap

Dungheap

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Japan

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

Thanks Rhino. 

Your pic report brings back a lot of fond memories from about 30 years ago. We also flew up from Chang Mai and stayed at a basic guest house and then some nearby bungalows in the jungle.

#4 biggles

biggles

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1671 posts
  • Interests:spend half the year in thailand and half in the Philippines
  • Australia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:19 PM

Lovely photos mate, thanks for posting.

#5 izzyg

izzyg

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Belgium

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Very nice report!

#6 Bob Belzy

Bob Belzy

Junior Poster

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Azerbaijan

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

Smoke haze starting already?

#7 Bazle

Bazle

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Great report, Rhino. TFP.

I'll try to get there if I'm up in that area.

#8 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15439 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

I liked the second plane. Made me want to grow wings.

Great photos!

#9 cbrib

cbrib

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1550 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Thailand

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the great report and pics. I have been meaning to go up there and check it out, will do sooner than later

#10 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4824 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

Went to Mae Hong Son at the beginning of the beginning of the month.  Just a few things to add which may benefit some.  We stayed at the Imperial Mae Hong Son.  It is a pleasant hotel in a picturesque setting.  It is 2 or 3 km from the center of town.  I had anticipated that tuk tuks or taxi would be readily available.  Not so.  There are a few elderly tuk tuks, vehicles and drivers, in town, but you don't see them very often.  We did take one from the airport to the hotel.  The GFE provider arranged for the hotel van to take us downtown in the evening to see the lake and nearby sights and to eat and came to get us when called.  That was 120 baht.

We rented a relatively late model Toyota Hilux for 24 hours to make the rounds the next day.  That was 1,600 baht and the man delivered it to the hotel.  With both of us running Google maps, we found our way to the sights without getting lost.

We did go to Ban Rak Thai, (not my photo) a village, that was about 40 km road miles away and perhaps 10 km as the crow flies to buy tea.  Or at least that was the main point that I observed.  It was at 500+ meters in elevation which is a good deal higher than Mae Hong Son.  I was well and truly puckered by the time we got there.  Did I mention that the GF is a good driver.

Bann-Rak-Thai-01.jpg

Edited by nkped, 12 April 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#11 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9898 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the great TR. I may never get there but your excellent photography got me a bit nearer

#12 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:35 AM

I didn't think there was any mongering in MHS, but this sex scandal is currently shocking the community

http://www.nationmul...tional/30314371

#13 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

Long prison sentences for corrupt cops in the Mae Hong Song underage prostitution scandal.

http://www.nationmul...tional/30343420

#14 Bob Belzy

Bob Belzy

Junior Poster

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Azerbaijan

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:43 AM

Long prison sentences for corrupt cops in the Mae Hong Song underage prostitution scandal.

http://www.nationmul...tional/30343420

Can't blame that one on 'sex tourists'.

#15 RhinoTusk

RhinoTusk

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1566 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

Here's touring MHS province via motorcycle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mae hong son, pai, northern

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 150 user(s)

Idefix, sabaidii2, villaman, conway, glee, Forever, thegrogmonster, pattysteve, marleyboy, GREEN MALAKA, MM, wacojacko, Bazle, yogi100, Brewmaster, woody0563, chrisinjapan, PigBoy#1, nadia, brassica, Ularu, Top_Cat, tazzmazz, MJKidd, edwhy, SlipSlopSlap, gilbert, whittler, Jack Scagnetti, Counterpointing, Landshark, braggsaw, N3RGT, seanss, awesum4, tombon, gs joe, BBD, jdbuk, texasfarang, fi33er, statman208, js007, ichy2, Dungheap, bastax33, papillon, Shuggy, bastos60, carling, Biego, Scottie, teelack, midlifecrisis, Owl_, flashkiwi, Alphonse, Goldpanner, The_Fat_Controller, Bear194, fisherman194, Malzy, tourist5024, Sloppy, Bullfrog, Mi Papa, up2usexyman, redwood13, grs90, Chang_paarp, BigDUSA, captcraig2, BigusDicus, inky13, briar, JONPAT, roderick17, henryski, python, Fornicator, bfree_247, greenhorn, BobRoss, andys, Desmond Jones, buffalojunk, tibora, Hastmish, chriscringle, fast eddy, sailingbill, Bob Belzy, explorer, landy2a, aj, TheFiend, capdagde, Patna, cbrib, goldtop1, veill, Kev, dheado, kuranda_bagman, LasRobos, rnine, Catbear, Stan, tommyjg, kingfuji, Pumpuynarak, CyberSpud, enduser, short, InternationalTraveler, neilri2001, mississippi, Regyai, jomtienguy, bkkbob40, jacko, mrbill2, jor, yorta2, MrMango, Fireman Sam, 4niceight, nkped, forcebwithu, biggles, maik, RhinoTusk, robbo, willconq66, rb, kingarthur, rmicheald, PATFAN, keyman, Big_Brian, CalEden, dddd, hahimi, lounge_lizard, john55, streeteats, Nelly, rambler349, frankie8, nivla