Photo

Hotel balcony falls - suicide or accident?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yujin

Yujin

Junior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Afghanistan

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:14 AM

Pattaya hotels seem to have a high number of deaths and injuries from guests falling from their hotel balcony.  At first, I thought it was probably suicide or a mixture of too much booze and suicide.

After my last trip to Pattaya, I noticed something that now leads me to believe falls from hotel balconies are most likely accidental.  What I noticed is the height of the balcony railing is very low.  I’m not a tall person (5’6” / 167 cm) and I almost fell over the balcony railing after I stumbled on the threshold between my room and the balcony.   After that near death experience, I rarely ventured out to the balcony.   BE CAREFUL!!!!

#2 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33382 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:04 AM

You can bang your head a lot too here, when I first came all the locals were tiny.

I rarely venture out on balconies because high ones give me the eeby-jeebies!

Topic also active on Thai Visa after a Russian fell.

#3 whitney

whitney

Junior Poster

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

The balconies and electrical system, two things in Thailand that are scarier for me than crossing a busy road here :-)

#4 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4445 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Not questioning what you say about hotel balconies, but at VT2 the railings are high enough that you're not going over by accident

#5 js007

js007

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4472 posts
  • United States

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

The balconies and electrical system, two things in Thailand that are scarier for me than crossing a busy road here :-)

I'm normally not the kind of person that likes heights, so I don't do a lot of hanging around on balconies.  But the other two things, the electrical systems and crossing the road? I've almost been killed by both at one time or another.  One time, an ATM machine in the rain almost did me in, and one time, down in Phuket, I almost got run over by a motorcycle crossing the road one night.  Alcohol may have played a part that time.

#6 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33382 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

I'm normally not the kind of person that likes heights, so I don't do a lot of hanging around on balconies.  But the other two things, the electrical systems and crossing the road? I've almost been killed by both at one time or another.  One time, an ATM machine in the rain almost did me in, and one time, down in Phuket, I almost got run over by a motorcycle crossing the road one night.  Alcohol may have played a part that time.

Beware of the soi Buakhao area then, no pavements and an abundance of MC taxis racing around.

That is the reason they built the hospital there!

#7 js007

js007

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4472 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

Beware of the soi Buakhao area then, no pavements and an abundance of MC taxis racing around.

That is the reason they built the hospital there!

Yea, Soi Buakhao looks dangerous.  I've seen one or two motorcycle vs. car wrecks at the corner by the Oasis go go bar.  

#8 sinbinjack

sinbinjack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2637 posts
  • Interests:ice hockey,sex
  • England

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:35 AM

Pattaya hotels seem to have a high number of deaths and injuries from guests falling from their hotel balcony.  At first, I thought it was probably suicide or a mixture of too much booze and suicide.

After my last trip to Pattaya, I noticed something that now leads me to believe falls from hotel balconies are most likely accidental.  What I noticed is the height of the balcony railing is very low.  I’m not a tall person (5’6” / 167 cm) and I almost fell over the balcony railing after I stumbled on the threshold between my room and the balcony.   After that near death experience, I rarely ventured out to the balcony.   BE CAREFUL!!!!

Didn't I read once about a suicide who was wearing a hood and had his hands tied behind his back?.

#9 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12742 posts
  • United States

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:46 AM

Didn't I read once about a suicide who was wearing a hood and had his hands tied behind his back?.

I never read that one but I have always thought the amount of farang suicide by balcony was far out of proportion to what common sense would expect.

So, I am an expat, I ran out of money. So what? I go home and get myself sent to the USA. No worse of in warm spots in USA than in LOS. LOS is great if you have money. The western world is better if you are poor.

I suspect that either barfine with a boyfriend who helps you over the ledge or your teelack has a bf who helps you and oops sorry was shooting for the pool.

skipped, he didn't know there was a pool.

Edited by midlifecrisis, 17 September 2017 - 02:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 75 user(s)

Yujin, yorta2, atlas2, Fireman Sam, forcebwithu, short, rnine, wacmedia, Firepole, chrisinjapan, mattelyo, Bushcraft, sub432, marleyboy, whitney, sailingbill, JONPAT, N3RGT, ichy2, tallguy, pattysteve, robbo, plahgat, jomtienguy, BILLYH, telmah, jor, hjr, bkkbob40, LasRobos, js007, fast eddy, Big_Brian, TheFiend, PigBoy#1, PATFAN, BigusDicus, Billions, laffnliv, gs joe, priory, pattaya_mad, Harvey, SlipSlopSlap, dheado, tommyjg, The_Fat_Controller, beerboy, MM, sinbinjack, midlifecrisis, Idefix, Gawd Elpus, Chang_paarp, redwood13, thegrogmonster, keyman, explorer, nkped, nus01, awesum4, jacko, grs90, Scottie, flashkiwi, losgrad, lounge_lizard, Bob Belzy, neilri2001, ttk, Butch, Pumpuynarak, inky13, Allover, palmtree