Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Wine Women Song Football & Golf not necessarily in that order
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

POPULAR

Yesterday went to the LRO near Regents School to renew my car and motorbike licences.
Time Line.
07:00 drive to centre and park up.
07:30 join the queue in front of main doors on the left-hand side for foreigners. At least 18-people in front of me.
08:05 Guy comes outside and gives a speech in Thai. Lets in the Thais first on the right-hand side and then foreigners.
08:10 Given a White ticket number 13 and sit down inside (ground floor) and wait for my number on the board.
08:50 Go upstairs for paperwork to be checked.
08:55 Given Red Ticket number 48 which says wait in training room 1.
09:10 Taken outside training room to cubicle to do reaction test, accelerator green lights and brake. And to do colour test red, green, yellow circles. Hand in ticket 48 to tester. I have passed the test.
09:30 Back to training room 1 to watch the video, the out-takes and re-run of video.
10:35: Basket of paperwork brought into training room and Thai numbers called first then foreigners with Passports and old driving licences. (Remember your number to collect Passport)
10:50 Join queue outside for desk number 15 to hand in paperwork and pay 555 baht car and 305 baht for motorbike licence.
11:00 Given Green ticket number 134 and wait to be called.
11:25 Go to desk number 2 to have photo taken and give paperwork to desk number 1. Then sit down and wait to be called.
11:40 Name is called and back to desk number 1 to pick up licences and receipts.
12:15 Arive back in Pattaya.

Documents required:
Passport.
Car and Motorbike Licences.
Copy of licences front and back.
Residence Cert from Immigration.
Copy of residence Cert. (one each for car and motorbike)
Passport face page 2-off
TM 6 Card 2-off

Did not need:
Copies of Visa.
Old Passport or copy of old Passport (number on old licence)

Other info:
Grease up with mosquito cream/spray as it is infested at the test centre both inside and outside the building.
Capacity of training room 1 is only 60-people so I guess you would have to wait for the second sitting if the number was over 60.
When waiting to get photo the second sitting was in the cubicle doing the reaction test. Noted there was only around 15-people.
I was in row number 4 in the training room and could just make out the English sub titles from the video. You also need to be a fast reader. Sub titles were in white and when there was a white background even more so.
The TV was 40-inch max so if you were seated in the back-row number 10 you would have needed binoculars. No joke.
To be honest the video was only informative on speed limits and fines and/or imprisonment for drunk driving. The road crash scenes with blood and guts was also worth watching.
Most Thais attention span lasted around 15-minutes before they were asleep or playing with their mobile phones.
Useful to take photo of your red ticket number.
Told by the document checker that the renewal period was 1-month before and up to 3-months after the expiry date. If you get stopped by the Police, then there could be a problem.
If you go a couple of days after your birthday (expiry date) then you will get almost 6-years validity.
Hope this info is useful.

#2 forcebwithu

forcebwithu

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

Good summary of what to expect and what's needed. Matches my experience and Pattaya Pete's who posted his experience in this thread, Thai driver's licence renewal in Pattaya - The complete guide.

#3 atlas2

atlas2

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9072 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

Brilliant Thanks.

#4 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36360 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

Five hours, quite a chore really.

I will bring a cool box full of beer and sandwiches, perhaps some Yorkie's pork pies.

#5 biggles

biggles

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts
  • Interests:spend half the year in thailand and half in the Philippines
  • Australia

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

If you renew a 5 year licence but no longer have a long term visa, say you have a 30 day entry or TV perhaps. They will only give you a 2 year licence.

#6 InternationalTraveler

InternationalTraveler

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Wine Women Song Football & Golf not necessarily in that order
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Five hours, quite a chore really.
I will bring a cool box full of beer and sandwiches, perhaps some Yorkie's pork pies.

Yes, another 5-hours of my life but it is one of those chores you have to do. I did take my ear phones to listen to some music and was also busy taking some notes and pics.

Foreigners queue at 07:30
20180215_073657 (Small).jpg

Waiting for my number at desk 11
20180215_082938 (Small).jpg

Doing the brake and colour test
20180215_111822 (Small).jpg

Mini TV Monitor
20180215_103646 (Small).jpg

Desk numbers 1 & 2
20180215_112923 (Small).jpg

#7 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36360 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:23 AM

My licences are  due for renewal in a few months and I was expecting a straightforward if arduous and dull, experience.

What I have read here was to be my guide.

Reading a thread on Thaivisa today I read I MAY need a few more unexpected items.

1) To obtain a residence certificate from immigration, I will need a TM30 receipt slip.... I have never submitted a TM30 in my 12+ years here!

2) Starting in March (tomorrow), a new style medical certificate will be required for new and renewal applications.

Anybody know more of this?

Edited by jacko, 28 February 2018 - 01:25 AM.

#8 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4806 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

No TM.30 required for the residence certificate on 7 February.

#9 atlas2

atlas2

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9072 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:29 AM

I read  the British Gov have been meddling in this process..........

Producing in conjunction with the Thais an English language film on Thai Road etiquette ...........A helpful film on the docs needed and process...........And it mentioned some kind of theory test........

I'm hoping the Thais say 'thank you' and basically change nothing.

This appeared on my google link on my Iphone about two weeks ago.

#10 Kev

Kev

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2194 posts
  • Australia

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:11 AM

2) Starting in March (tomorrow), a new style medical certificate will be required for new and renewal applications.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) but on the new certificate they will have to say if you have high blood pressure (don't ask me how high is high) and perhaps eye sight test (not just the one at cop shop). They were going to make it more stringent I believe because of that guy who had an accident and said he had epilepsy.

#11 Big_Brian

Big_Brian

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2876 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

I read somewhere (can't remember where) but on the new certificate they will have to say if you have high blood pressure (don't ask me how high is high) and perhaps eye sight test (not just the one at cop shop). They were going to make it more stringent I believe because of that guy who had an accident and said he had epilepsy.

It could use being stricter, when I got my tenp 2 years back, an old falang had trouble with the colour test.  The tester asked if he couldn't see the colours, he said that was no problem, but he couldn't see the pointer!  So she used her hand instead and he passed.  Couldn't see a 1/2" stick from 8' away, but passed the eyesight test - appeared that her job was the colour test, so that was what she did, and all she did.  There was a normal eye chart on the wall too, but no hint of using it.

If his sight was that bad (he was wearing glasses btw) then he shouldn't be on the road.  Never mind that he was shaking the whole time too, looked like Parkinsons or similar.

#12 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36360 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:42 PM

I am off to renew my 5 year licences in a few weeks and the OP above is to be my guide...

I am unsure whether or not I need a medical certificate... above suggests not, anyone have any recent experience?

I live near this place and getting there is easy, and a friend recently reminded me of that fact, but I countered with, well you live in Jomtiem and your residence letter is a darned sight easier! I intend to just get a single residence letter for the 2 licences. 

Edited by jacko, 18 May 2018 - 11:44 PM.

#13 atlas2

atlas2

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9072 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

I went to Dr Oliviers yesterday. I noticed medical certificates for driving licenses is a service he still provides.... doesnt mean you still need one.

I have to go in October.
My birthday is now sadly the same day the king died.
I expect a closure and a whopping queue the day before or the day after.

If you go after your Bd Jacko confirm no hassle over this and an extra year.
The closure on my bd in that sense would be very helpful excuse for me.

#14 biggles

biggles

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1666 posts
  • Interests:spend half the year in thailand and half in the Philippines
  • Australia

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:05 AM

Jaco, it depends on who you get at the entrance. I was told by the counter woman when I renewed that I needed one, tho I pointed out that their website said I didnt. "Out of date" was her response, so off I went to get one, a wasted few hours and a 32km trip. When I returned, a different lady who didnt ask for med certificate (which I had in my bag) and just gave me a number. For 100 baht I would save a possible extra trip and get one in advance.

#15 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36360 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Jaco, it depends on who you get at the entrance. I was told by the counter woman when I renewed that I needed one, tho I pointed out that their website said I didnt. "Out of date" was her response, so off I went to get one, a wasted few hours and a 32km trip. When I returned, a different lady who didnt ask for med certificate (which I had in my bag) and just gave me a number. For 100 baht I would save a possible extra trip and get one in advance.

It seems logical rather than getting messed about.... where did you get yours for only 100 baht?

I have been in and out of the BHP for a dental issue a lot recently and have to go  just before I do the licence, they check my BP every time and charge me for the privilege.. I just don't see them doing a med cert for only100!

#16 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4806 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:18 AM

It is mildly curious that renewal of a five year license is so much more onerous than the procedure for getting the initial license. Perhaps the theory is that after seven years in Pattaya you are likely to be completely broken down.

#17 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36360 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:32 AM

Documents required:
Passport.
Car and Motorbike Licences.
Copy of licences front and back.
Residence Cert from Immigration.
Copy of residence Cert. (one each for car and motorbike)
Passport face page 2-off
TM 6 Card 2-off

Did not need:
Copies of Visa.
Old Passport or copy of old Passport (number on old licence)

I am afraid your list did not work for me!  I got to about 08.50.

The lady at the desk there is quite particular, and was already giving an Australian a hard time over his original Oz licence.

She wouldn't accept the pictoral categories it defined even though he had a Google page giving details and explanations.

For my case, renewing 2x 5 year licences, living here on a retirement extension:-

All copies must be signed, and another form was given for each licence and I was told to write my name and phone number across the top... go away from desk.

On return and wait I was given back one residence certificate copy and the 2 copies of my TM6 card, not needed.

Instead they wanted 2 copies of my current retirement extension stamp.. signed you bet!

For that, you have to go outside and across to the small shops opposite and persuadee someone to get off their phone.

Back upstairs to desk 11 with the copies and my passport, wait after a couple of guys, she shuffles my paperwork, takes the new copies and the passport and gives me the red ticket number 62, and told to come back in the afternoon at 1pm for 'Training'...

All full already.

Fortunately I live relatively close to the place, so not the worst thing in the world, but an afternoon of my life I wanted to make use of, is no longer mine!

Edited by jacko, 07 June 2018 - 04:31 AM.

#18 atlas2

atlas2

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9072 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

#19 Regyai

Regyai

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:39 AM

Did this yesterday

Photos above look positively civilised by comparison to the milling throngs of people I had to endure. Was what I imagine a Chinese fire drill to be like  :lol:

#20 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36360 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

Yes it all appears a bit chaotic but it gets done!

My afternoon session wasn't too bad, just a little over  2 hours. I was the second in line of those who got postponed to the afternoon group, which put me at the front.

Arrived just before 1pm... go sit in Test room 1.

About 1pm we are all herded out like sheep and cramped into the testing area.

My low number meant I was second in line.

Color blindness test, and depth perception, I failed the depth first time and was warned, fail twice, go home, come back tomorrow.

That would have been great! Luckily passed. Go back to room 1.

Talking with an Oz guy he told me there is a little green ligjht you can see when the two sticks are aligned, didn't notice that!

No speed/reaction braking test, bet it's broken!

Room filled up and then we got to watch an hours long DVD, excrutiating!

Guy comes in and you get to sign a paper per licence, but he nags you to check the details first, while keeping his hand over it!

Passport returned.

Go outside room, pay, photo, pick up licences.

I did get a few days under 6 years as it was just after my birthday.

Jobs a good 'un.

Edited by jacko, 07 June 2018 - 09:09 AM.

#21 Regyai

Regyai

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1616 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:06 AM

Much the same (but more bodies)

Banal movie with YouTube stolen fake crashes (all perpetrated by farangs). Illegible subtitles on a TV from someone's cast offs (I have larger PC monitor).

I did wonder about the fail twice, come back tomorrow rationale - can defective depth perception be cured overnight?  :rolleyes: (Maybe a special spell or incantation from a Mor Doo)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 56 user(s)

cbrib, sabaidii2, 007cableguy, CyberSpud, harro1, redwood13, buck22, Bazle, BigusDicus, Bushcraft, Fireman Sam, Scottie, ozboy, dv34917, billy69, Tyre lever, Rawhide2, aardvark, biggles, sailingbill, PattayaPete, marleyboy, Olded, aj, rmicheald, Chang_paarp, tallguy, landy2a, statman208, explorer, chrisinjapan, SimplySam, short, martini9946, joeaf, Idefix, kingarthur, Kev, syd_tybil, TheFiend, js007, atlas2, jor, keyman, sinbinjack, thegrogmonster, forcebwithu, nkped, Regyai, Big_Brian, lounge_lizard, larrymac90, Gary, cappi, InternationalTraveler, jacko