• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

POPULAR

IMG_0134.jpg

So's Place (Bar and Restaurant) is a small family-owned establishment on Soi 15 across the street from The Avenue shopping plaza.  It serves standard Thai dishes at low prices, with only a couple of Western dishes on the menu.

The food is excellent and the service is very friendly. There's nothing fancy about So's Place, but it's cheap and cheerful, which is exactly what many tourists and long-term residents are looking for in a neighborhood eatery.  It's open daily between noon and midnight, with last orders for food taken at 11.00 p.m.

So's has been in business for a few years and has built a loyal following.  It recently expanded, taking over a beer bar next door and knocking down the wall between them.  This is what it looked like before the expansion:

IMG_0136.jpg

And now:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Most of the dishes at So's run between 80 and 120 baht.  It's home-style Thai cooking by a lady who knows what she's doing.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

The portions aren't huge, but they are certainly adequate.  My favorite is  the minced pork with holy basil.

IMG_0083.jpg

It costs 80 baht, with an egg atop the rice an extra 15 baht.

IMG_0082.jpg

The waitresses at So's ask each diner whether he or she wants the dish spicy. One nice is that diners get a cold towel before the meal.

EDIT IN:  I'll add some text, but not much more is really needed.  The dishes on the menu at So's will be familiar to anyone who enjoys Thai food.

Thai-style "omelette" filled with minced pork and vegetables:

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Shrimp with black pepper and garlic:

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Pork and vegetable stir-fry with oyster sauce:

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Pad thai:

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0137b.jpg

IMG_0137a.jpg

Pork noodle soup:

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Crispy pork with kale:

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bottom line:  If you want good Thai food at a low price, So's is an excellent choice. I should add that I eat frequently at So's, but not only on the basis of the food.  It's a very convenient location for me.

Evil
:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 15 May 2018 - 04:53 AM.

#2 capdagde

capdagde

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3408 posts
  • France

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

Nice to see So's Place has expanded.  We ate there a few times last trip (2016) and found the price/quality excellent.  We appreciated the small portions as we are not big eaters.

Andy Cap & Flo

#3 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9708 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for the review Evil. This is my sort of place where the cooking is personal and seems that the food looks authentic. I have been using places like this but the last two shut their doors and this looks like a good replacement. I also find that Thai girls are happy in unpretentious places like this and prefer the home made version to the restaurant sort.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#4 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

POPULAR

Just a small update.  I have pretty well eaten my way through the whole menu at So's, so I finally got around to trying the sweet and sour chicken,  It and chicken with cashews are the last two dishes I order at a Thai restaurant.  Nothing inherently wrong with either, but all too often they' are adapted to meet farang expectations  based on Chinese restaurants in the West.  

I'm happy to say  that wasn't the case at So's.  It wasn't overly sweet from sugar or  a plateful of pineapple chunks.

IMG_0138.jpg.b5cb51d140399ab5e236702294b

The dish had plenty of vegetables and chicken, with only a couple of pieces of pineapple.  The sauce was indeed well balanced between sweet and sour.  It cost 80 baht.

IMG_0140.jpg.ae12808b8fc0ee945a88578519b

IMG_0144.jpg.abd9f6aa2905ce6d96367da1538

I won't be hesitant to try the chicken with cashews at So's!

Evil

#5 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 27 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

I did try the chicken with cashews and it was very good! However, So's is closed Friday and Saturday due to the Buddha days.

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 30 July 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#6 JONPAT

JONPAT

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the review. I will be stopping by, seems a great place for a bite to eat before or after a movie at the Major.

#7 Alphonse

Alphonse

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:50 AM

Thanks, Evil. Been wondering about So's since I pass by fairly often. Have you tried any of the food stalls on the ground floor of The Avenue? A walk through there is always greeted with very tempting smells coming from the eateries.

#8 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35864 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:40 AM

I did try the chicken with cashews and it was very good! However, So's os closed Friday and Saturday due to the Buddha days.

Evil

Looked to be closed yesterday (Sunday) too. Missed some good days for business.

#9 helloitsme

helloitsme

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

Have you tried any of the food stalls on the ground floor of The Avenue? A walk through there is always greeted with very tempting smells coming from the eateries.

I ate regularly at several of those during my last stay a few months ago. Many seemed to offer the same, so it was a case (for me anyway ) of finding one I liked and sticking with them. 50b gave me a plate of something with rice (chicken in various forms, pork, and sauce) or a noodle soup. Almost miss my daily feed there most about my trip...

#10 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Thanks, Evil. Been wondering about So's since I pass by fairly often. Have you tried any of the food stalls on the ground floor of The Avenue? A walk through there is always greeted with very tempting smells coming from the eateries.

The eateries and other stalls in the back covered section have been cleared out.  It's empty now.  The front open-air section beside the fountain still has food stalls and tables for sit-down dining.  I haven't tried it yet.

Another good meal at So's.  I was hungry last night, so I had a big bowl of pork noodle soup for 80 baht:

IMG_0150.jpg.364c2502260e6eb4fb08f9927c0

followed by garlic fried spare ribs at 145 baht.  The ribs were meaty and tender, while the sliced garlic had been fried crispy without any burning.  With rice and a bottle of water, the meal cost 280 baht in all.

IMG_0354.jpg.c5f2f2a11d91a57b69ef1fb37bc

IMG_0355.jpg.1fb8f0c4fa801f968d23f29a6b7

IMG_0358.jpg.8751cacc4e017fd8d1322acd0a4

IMG_0360.jpg.601047c05097ff941016730b469

Evil

#11 Alphonse

Alphonse

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:10 AM

I was shocked yesterday to see all the food stalls gone. After looking around I saw a small sign on the escalator noting that the stalls had been moved upstairs. That space is much more cramped, hot, and uncomfortable; there was often a very nice breeze passing through the ground floor location that made eating there more attractive. What this is all about I have no clue; remodel, space for new business, city regulations run amok?? If anyone has a clue would love to know. Pattaya seems to be engaged in a battle not only with beach road ladies but also food vendors---making Pattaya safe for the Chinese...

Tried So's twice---was good and will be making it a regular stop.

#12 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:10 PM

I was shocked yesterday to see all the food stalls gone. After looking around I saw a small sign on the escalator noting that the stalls had been moved upstairs.

Yes, the back section of the ground floor of The Avenue has been cleared.  Tonight a six-member crew was washing it down.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

The front bottom section still has food stalls, plus more tables and chairs:

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0020a.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

A new eating section has opened on the second floor:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

A Thai man was celebrating his birthday with his wife and a friend.  He asked me to take pics.  I will email him a copy of them.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 02 August 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#13 Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1156 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:37 AM

Apologies for the -1 red, fat finger syndrome on my iPad trying to give you a green.

Regards

#14 helloitsme

helloitsme

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:10 AM

Apologies for the -1 red, fat finger syndrome on my iPad trying to give you a green.
Regards

Evened it up for ya!

The birthday boy is hubby of the lady who cooked my lunch most days last trip. Hardly any English between them, but I never went hungry, got credit from them various times when I only had a 1000 note, and was used as a guinea pig for a few new dishes they produced.

Really miss my 50b cow man gai!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 133 user(s)

aj, tommyjg, CyberSpud, maik, marleyboy, 4wheels, sabaidii2, short, atlas2, gs joe, Bushcraft, Kev, LasRobos, syd_tybil, grs90, BILLYH, pattysteve, statman208, Arby, sinbinjack, martini9946, telmah, mrbill2, ozboy, Billions, joeaf, CalEden, aguy2006, woody0563, BeerBelly, beechnut3, khunmike, Slobbert, SidJames, Gary, RhinoTusk, chrisinjapan, Bear194, rnine, frostfire, Regyai, JaimetheLimey, aldo262, jomtienguy, Landshark, BigusDicus, Dungheap, braggsaw, larrymac90, stomper, buck22, rb, bastax33, Butch, drzaz, tko, Anfield, Indiscipline, fisherman194, dddd, cottesloe, fizzog3, maliminer, parry, Chilli Pepper, Spock, thechairman18, Firepole, fredflint, priory, js007, Samsonite, buzzfuzz1, Chang_paarp, fosse, JONPAT, explorer, thegrogmonster, hjr, kingarthur, assasaintim, lounge_lizard, Saddic, too_mutt, TheFiend, dphoude, PoolHustler, Siam Sam, BBD, bkkbob40, trikidiki, ttk, kingfuji, fast eddy, cbrib, Bazle, forcebwithu, marxere, wobbly_1, PigBoy#1, yorta2, tallguy, helloitsme, jacko, The_Fat_Controller, tar, razraz, keyman, conway, midlifecrisis, Scottie, dheado, marklotus, sailingbill, jor, glee, GeeGee, Fireman Sam, redwood13, python, kuranda_bagman, spiderman, Alphonse, Blackwell, Odense, Catbear, carling, matthewh, capdagde, MeGoDanceNow, robbo, Evil Penevil, beerboy