• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6055 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

POPULAR

IMG_0134.jpg

So's Place (Bar and Restaurant) is a small family-owned establishment on Soi 15 across the street from The Avenue shopping plaza.  It serves standard Thai dishes at low prices, with only a couple of Western dishes on the menu.

The food is excellent and the service is very friendly. There's nothing fancy about So's Place, but it's cheap and cheerful, which is exactly what many tourists and long-term residents are looking for in a neighborhood eatery.  It's open daily between noon and midnight, with last orders for food taken at 11.00 p.m.

So's has been in business for a few years and has built a loyal following.  It recently expanded, taking over a beer bar next door and knocking down the wall between them.  This is what it looked like before the expansion:

IMG_0136.jpg

And now:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Most of the dishes at So's run between 80 and 120 baht.  It's home-style Thai cooking by a lady who knows what she's doing.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

The portions aren't huge, but they are certainly adequate.  My favorite is  the minced pork with holy basil.

IMG_0083.jpg

It costs 80 baht, with an egg atop the rice an extra 15 baht.

IMG_0082.jpg

The waitresses at So's ask each diner whether he or she wants the dish spicy. One nice is that diners get a cold towel before the meal.

EDIT IN:  I'll add some text, but not much more is really needed.  The dishes on the menu at So's will be familiar to anyone who enjoys Thai food.

Thai-style "omelette" filled with minced pork and vegetables:

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Shrimp with black pepper and garlic:

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Pork and vegetable stir-fry with oyster sauce:

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Pad thai:

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0137b.jpg

IMG_0137a.jpg

Pork noodle soup:

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Crispy pork with kale:

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bottom line:  If you want good Thai food at a low price, So's is an excellent choice. I should add that I eat frequently at So's, but not only on the basis of the food.  It's a very convenient location for me.

Evil
:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 15 May 2018 - 04:53 AM.

#2 capdagde

capdagde

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3398 posts
  • France

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

Nice to see So's Place has expanded.  We ate there a few times last trip (2016) and found the price/quality excellent.  We appreciated the small portions as we are not big eaters.

Andy Cap & Flo

#3 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9543 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for the review Evil. This is my sort of place where the cooking is personal and seems that the food looks authentic. I have been using places like this but the last two shut their doors and this looks like a good replacement. I also find that Thai girls are happy in unpretentious places like this and prefer the home made version to the restaurant sort.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 91 user(s)

drzaz, assasaintim, js007, aj, dheado, tommyjg, kingarthur, CyberSpud, maik, marleyboy, 4wheels, The_Fat_Controller, Regyai, rnine, cbrib, fizzog3, priory, sabaidii2, short, bkkbob40, capdagde, atlas2, Fireman Sam, Dungheap, tallguy, Bazle, gs joe, Bushcraft, Kev, TheFiend, braggsaw, keyman, chrisinjapan, redwood13, spiderman, kingfuji, Chang_paarp, LasRobos, forcebwithu, syd_tybil, grs90, kuranda_bagman, bastax33, conway, BILLYH, pattysteve, lounge_lizard, tko, statman208, Arby, fredflint, jor, robbo, sinbinjack, PigBoy#1, fast eddy, martini9946, helloitsme, telmah, Blackwell, jacko, mrbill2, razraz, aldo262, ozboy, Billions, Scottie, joeaf, Catbear, CalEden, sailingbill, hjr, Bear194, explorer, thegrogmonster, cottesloe, stomper, aguy2006, wobbly_1, glee, woody0563, Evil Penevil, dddd, parry, Chilli Pepper, BeerBelly, beechnut3, khunmike, Slobbert, Firepole, SidJames