• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6266 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

POPULAR

1.jpg

Buakhao Bistro has been open about six weeks.  It's located on the stretch of Soi Bukhao between Soi Diana and LK Metro and across the street from Oasis A Go Go and Soi Chaiyapoon. 

As its sign proclaims, Buakhao Bistro offers international and Thai cuisine.  There's everything on the menu from pad thai and Chinese steamed dumplings through hamburgers. pizza and pasta to steaks, onion soup and a French open-faced sandwich. Prices are mid-range, with plenty of main dishes under 200 and 300 baht. The owner/manager is a very friendly French man who enjoys talking with his customers.  He told he had been in the restaurant business in Pattaya for 11 years and was previously associated with The Kitchen on Beach Road.

2a.jpg

The veranda is a good spot for people watching.  I prefer to sit in the covered section of the restaurant, but I still had a clear view of the street.  What struck me most is the number of near traffic accidents I saw.  That crazy intersection of Soi Diana, Soi Lenkee and Soi Diana leads to some hair-raising left and right turns.

3b.jpg

3c.jpg

3.jpg

The restaurant has a selection of bottled Belgian beer. I like lambic fruit beers and was pleased to see St Louis Premium Framboise (raspberry) on the menu. Fruit lambics go very well with spicy foods, so I ordered the penne arabiata at 160 baht. It was indeed spicy, but very good.

9.jpg

One nice touch is the free pate and bread that comes with some of Buakhao Bistro main dishes.  The pate is homemade and tasty.

8.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

I next tried the parma ham tartine, an open-faced French sandwich. It wasn't cheap at 220 baht, but then neither is parma ham in Thailand. Again, very good but not particularly filling.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I've also had the fish burger and fries at 210 baht ...

11.jpg

12.jpg

and the smoked salmon wrap at 180 baht. 

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

No complaints about either. The fish fillet in the burger had been nicely breaded and season, while the taste of the smoked salmon wasn't overwhelmed by the other ingredients.

Bottom line:  Good food at a good location.

10.jpg

Evil
:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 05 June 2018 - 10:00 PM.

#2 Alphonse

Alphonse

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:35 AM

Thanks, Evil. Walk by there often and was wondering...will give it a try. The penne looks like a candidate for a first meal along with a few others.

#3 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6266 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:10 AM

Thanks, Evil. Walk by there often and was wondering...will give it a try. The penne looks like a candidate for a first meal along with a few others.

It had a real kick to it.  If you're not a fan of spicy food, you might want to ask them to hold back on the Thai chiles.

Evil

:devil

#4 wacmedia

wacmedia

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11354 posts
  • Interests:Wine,women and fast horses
  • Eritrea

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

Looks good.The French have an obsession with food. Usually you get good food as they will settle for nothing less.

#5 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9941 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

Thanks as usual for the review Evil. I would love to see places that dare to be different survive. I guess that this was my complaint about GASCO that there wasnt a sufficient point of difference for me to care. This place is however different and within a few metres of cheap noodle shops and the Hole in the Wall. If it can hold on till the French and Belgians start arriiving later in the year it should get a solid patronage. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 90 user(s)

maik, Regyai, pattysteve, CyberSpud, fizzog3, Bazle, marleyboy, aj, Arby, aldriglikvid, grs90, hjr, thegrogmonster, keyman, Dungheap, tommyjg, BILLYH, rb, fosse, Bushcraft, kingarthur, Butch, Gary, PoolHustler, Fireman Sam, chrisinjapan, PATFAN, The_Fat_Controller, fast eddy, dream1302, wobbly_1, Fornicator, conway, statman208, js007, sailingbill, BigusDicus, telmah, python, short, bkkbob40, Grandpollo, kingfuji, Alphonse, teelack, bastax33, Scottie, PigBoy#1, aldo262, dheado, jor, tallguy, lounge_lizard, maik, Bear194, robbo, JONPAT, gs joe, glee, Odense, jacko, yorta2, Chang_paarp, PattayaPete, explorer, redwood13, Spock, syd_tybil, gdogg, Evil Penevil, parry, Stan, wacmedia, Firepole, Catbear, ozboy, braggsaw, dddd, trikidiki, kuranda_bagman, rambler349, PATFAN, fi33er, knavjord, sinbinjack, dphoude, EnglishPaul, Nightrider, thechairman18, Vesku