#1 Chang_paarp

Chang_paarp

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

Interesting selection in 7 on Pattaya Klang.

PSX_20180611_200743.jpg

#2 Chang_paarp

Chang_paarp

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Australia

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

I am  trying the Federbrau.

The reason there is no import tax ribbon on the can is it is locally brewed. Unfortunately it is showing signs of being brewed in Thailand, it is gassy, and it lacks taste. I was hoping for something a little better.

#3 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

The reason there is no import tax ribbon on the can is it is locally brewed. Unfortunately it is showing signs of being brewed in Thailand, it is gassy, and it lacks taste. I was hoping for something a little better.

They all seem to taste much the same here.

In a restaurant a large Leo over a large Heiny is my choice due to the price difference.

#4 Kev

Kev

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts
  • Australia

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:16 AM

They all seem to taste much the same here.

In a restaurant a large Leo over a large Heiny is my choice due to the price difference.

Don't know why as I can drink just about any beers normally but Leo gives me a bloody terrible headache and makes my throat bloody sore.

#5 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:35 AM

Don't know why as I can drink just about any beers normally but Leo gives me a bloody terrible headache and makes my throat bloody sore.

You may be right about the headache, Leo gives me one too so it is limited to the odd few when out dining. 

Boozing is San Mig, closest thing to water bar ice!

#6 short

short

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5601 posts
  • United States

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

Stay away from the Budweiser.  Plus no way I would pay 45 bt for it even in the best agogo

#7 Butch

Butch

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2875 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Leo probably gives you a skull ache due to high glycerin levels in the beer. There was a brew I used to drink in India which had the same effect, as it absorbs water, thus dehydrating you more than normal.

Then again I could be totally wrong, cos I heard it secondhand somewhere.

#8 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

Leo probably gives you a skull ache due to high glycerin levels in the beer. There was a brew I used to drink in India which had the same effect, as it absorbs water, thus dehydrating you more than normal.

Then again I could be totally wrong, cos I heard it secondhand somewhere.

I remember Kingfisher beer there, tasted like homebrew and gave quite a headache, likely high alcohol content to stop it spoiling in the heat.

Like the early Singha in Thailand.....

#9 accyboy

accyboy

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:21 AM

Think the kingfisher alcohol content may still be the same as last year the ABV on the labels stated
Not less than 5% roll on Xmas when Im off again 😎

#10 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4745 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

I remember Kingfisher beer there, tasted like homebrew and gave quite a headache, likely high alcohol content to stop it spoiling in the heat.
Like the early Singha in Thailand.....

I thought that was the reason for the formaldehyde, at least in the old school Singha.

#11 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:21 PM

I thought that was the reason for the formaldehyde, at least in the old school Singha.

Yes it had a chemical taste, but the alcohol content had a hit too, old Singha, served in the big bottles, soon had you spinning. Unless that is a side effect of formaldahyde....

#12 Patna

Patna

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3149 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:13 AM

I do enjoy Federbrau on occasion but strictly the bottled version. Tried the can once but it has a totally different taste

Edited by Patna, 17 June 2018 - 05:14 AM.

#13 Patna

Patna

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3149 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

I also like Tapper, was sold on the can design - best in Thailand imho. Bit high on alcohol but I don't drink it during daytime

tapper2.jpg

#14 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:35 PM

Quite a few people are allergic to some of the chemicals that result from the fermentation process or are added as preservatives to beer and wine.  I discovered in my 20s that I was allergic to some types of red wine.  The reaction can be severe in the worst case and I haven't drunk red wine in 40 years.  The doc told me it's estimated that 25% of the population has alcohol-related allergies but don't know it.  He said allergic reactions are the cause of many hangovers.

Stay away from the Budweiser.  Plus no way I would pay 45 bt for it even in the best agogo

I heard the Clydesdale horses are the symbol of Budweiser because the beer is brewed through them.

Bud.JPG

Evil

:devil

#15 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4745 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:46 AM

I heard the Clydesdale horses are the symbol of Budweiser because the beer is brewed through them.

attachicon.gifBud.JPG

Evil
:devil

I finished my lifetime allotment of Budweiser 30 years ago. Unfortunately I kept drinking it for another 20 years.

Edited by nkped, 18 June 2018 - 04:48 AM.

#16 9cisco999

9cisco999

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

I finished my lifetime allotment of Budweiser 30 years ago. Unfortunately I kept drinking it for another 20 years.

I said good bye to all beer 20 years ago.

#17 capdagde

capdagde

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3408 posts
  • France

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

I also like Tapper, was sold on the can design - best in Thailand imho. Bit high on alcohol but I don't drink it during daytime

attachicon.giftapper2.jpg

6.5% for Tapper.  Isn't that the same as standard Chang or is my memory poor due to my alcohol intake?

#18 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

6.5% for Tapper.  Isn't that the same as standard Chang or is my memory poor due to my alcohol intake?

Chang is 5% now.

Previously it seemed to vary, but I believe stated as 6.4 in the domestic brew.

Edited by jacko, 20 June 2018 - 09:02 AM.

#19 cbrib

cbrib

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Thailand

Posted 20 June 2018 - 07:23 PM

Chang is 5% now.

Previously it seemed to vary, but I believe stated as 6.4 in the domestic brew.

When Chang started experimenting the original version was and they made "Export" at 5% and Chang Light - which was pretty good- at 4.2%. The new Chang Classic at 5% is ok but i prefer the old 6.4% version

#20 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:01 AM

When Chang started experimenting the original version was and they made "Export" at 5% and Chang Light - which was pretty good- at 4.2%. The new Chang Classic at 5% is ok but i prefer the old 6.4% version

I had an unpleasant night or two when I first moved here due to large bottles of Chang.

To the extent I stopped drinking it, which was a shame as I liked the taste. 

#21 Patna

Patna

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3149 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 21 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

Didn't know but looked it up, wow. 6.4%

#22 cbrib

cbrib

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Thailand

Posted 22 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

I had an unpleasant night or two when I first moved here due to large bottles of Chang.

Lol. Yeah the Thai's that love their Leo always used to joke about the reason Chang has the two elephants whose heads are about to collide is because that is how your head is going to feel in the morning. That was my main beer for a while until they started fucking around with the taste. It is still ok and i prefer it over Leo, Singh isn't even an option for me. SML has been my main for quite a few years now.

#23 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35872 posts
  • Thailand

Posted 22 June 2018 - 11:01 PM

Lol. Yeah the Thai's that love their Leo always used to joke about the reason Chang has the two elephants whose heads are about to collide is because that is how your head is going to feel in the morning. That was my main beer for a while until they started fucking around with the taste. It is still ok and i prefer it over Leo, Singh isn't even an option for me. SML has been my main for quite a few years now.

I have tried it since it went 'Classic', find it very bland. I like a Leo when I am at a restaurant and maybe at home on warm evenings, it's taste can work over ice so it is refreshing. SML when out on town, perhaps I can remain not overly fat with it!

#24 snowbird

snowbird

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Canada

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:23 AM

I  can recall a night in Chiang Mai years ago when I got pissed on Chang, and woke up the next morning with the attendant hangover, plus a spot of food poisoning, plus a heavy tropical cold...haven't drunk much of the stuff since...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 132 user(s)

halfaboy, js007, Arby, PigBoy#1, ttk, biggles, CyberSpud, assasaintim, spiderman, aldo262, veill, mrbill2, atlas2, JONPAT, drzaz, Bushcraft, kingarthur, tar, buck22, statman208, helloitsme, rnine, CalEden, Grandpollo, Regyai, Alphonse, wacmedia, bastax33, willconq66, goldtop1, LBJ, Butch, sinbinjack, larrymac90, BigusDicus, lounge_lizard, 4niceight, kingfuji, pattysteve, drzaz, Gary, Big_Brian, priory, fosse, mrlasvegas, Billions, telmah, InCider, buzzfuzz1, yorta2, bkkbob40, Kev, 9cisco999, BILLYH, Britboy, Olded, conway, too_mutt, villaman, nus01, glee, texasfarang, aj, PattayaPete, Catbear, Evil Penevil, ozboy, capdagde, sabaidii2, tommyjg, marleyboy, hjr, travlr1134, streeteats, luco01, Gawd Elpus, fisherman194, brotherbuzz, explorer, maik, braggsaw, forcebwithu, aussiechic, trikidiki, kuranda_bagman, beerboy, Odense, Siam Sam, TheFiend, redwood13, Fireman Sam, keyman, gs joe, tallguy, fast eddy, Samsonite, cbrib, marxere, Saddic, snowbird, sailingbill, Patna, thegrogmonster, yogi100, Scottie, Firepole, dheado, robbo, short, chrisinjapan, jacko, grs90, jor, nkped, Chang_paarp, rambler349, Bob Belzy, Firedude, papillon, misteregg, InternationalTraveler, dddd, martini9946, Malzy, Stan, tlcwaterfall, dv34917, rmicheald, chico, john55, HART1833, alancee