How to donate to the board server fund

Photo

Under 300 Baht ... And Mediocre (Updated Aug. 10, 2018)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • Interests:exposing Internet con men and frauds
  • United States

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:25 PM

POPULAR

I started the "Under 300 Baht ... And Good!" thread to disprove a particularly silly statement that  claimed  if you spend less than 300 baht on farang food in Pattaya,  you get "garbage." 

It was easy to find dozens of examples of good farang food that cost less than 300 baht in Pattaya.  The "Under 300 Baht..." thread has run more than two years and still has a ways to go. There are so many restaurants in town where you can get good food under 300 baht and it's almost impossible to cover them all.

However, not all the food in I try qualifies as good.  Mediocre dishes also abound under 300 baht, so I decided to start a thread about those meals.

But before we get going, I have to stress "mediocre" is not the same thing as "bad." Mediocre means "average or ordinary in quality; neither very good nor very bad." Generally speaking, a mediocre meal will be adequate, but not more.  One more time, so everyone understands: mediocre does not mean bad. 

Another point to stress is that a good restaurant can serve an undistinguished dish while the rest of its menu is much better. One mediocre dish does not a mediocre restaurant make, much less a bad restaurant.

So with the notes of explanation out of the way, feel free to share the details of meals in Pattaya that were notable only for their mediocrity, no matter in which restaurant you had them. It doesn't necessarily have to be farang food.  It can be Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, whatever.   Thanks!

IMG_0271.jpg.f7a7044b08a47c2bbdacdf13996

The fixed plate roast chicken dinner at the Robin Hood Tavern for 199 baht rates a "C," with one component on the plate scoring an "A," two failing miserably and the rest average. 

IMG_0276.jpg.bcb21932fdfa26e94fd08df7a80

I give the roast chicken an "A" because it was a generous portion of juicy and tasty chicken.  

IMG_0271a.jpg.97ce7ae633c56724f77dfe6382

IMG_0273.jpg.91f1a832c59b2540f57fe6b771b

The Yorkshire pudding and bacon-wrapped sausage were inedible, so they get "Fs."  The Robin Hood also has a carvery buffet for 299 baht and I believe the Yorkshire and the sausage had stood on heating trays for a long time and the plate had been rewarmed in a microwave or oven before serving.  The Yorkshire was burnt on the outside, tough as leather inside.  The bacon around the sausage was so hard it couldn't be chewed.  The vegetables and potatoes were OK, but nothing special, the definition of mediocre.

A possible upside for some diners is that there was a lot of food on the plate.  The downside was that except for the chicken, it was mediocre or bad food.  The Robin Hood Tavern is located on the  first upper level of The Avenue on 2nd Road.  

IMG_0254.jpg.40ff3fe61eb7238fe8975e528d4

Take Away is an oddly named restaurant on Soi Bukhao, close to the subsoi that connects New Plaza with Bukhao.  It's menu aims it clearly at visitors from the U.K. as it's heavy on what can be considered British comfort food.

IMG_0244.jpg.943590ecb4231ab2ca6bbbaa9bc

Prices aren't exactly cheap, but they are reasonable and every item on the menu is under 300 baht, with most under 200 baht.

IMG_0241.jpg.1a606d3b1ace9ebf7cfb583169e

You order at the counter and pay at the counter, but the food is carried to the tables by the waitress.

IMG_0243.jpg.acaef62c08d088287b42c76d6ca

I tried the spaghetti Bolognese for 180 baht. Maybe that was a bad choice on my part.  If I eat there again, I'll pick something more British.

IMG_0247.jpg.65edd838e6a55fbd483c5917b85

Basically, it was a bland ground beef sauce dumped on top of overcooked pasta.  There was no Italian seasoning and very little tomato in what was supposed to be a Bolognese sauce. Mediocre is the best I can rate it. The garlic bread was actually the tastiest part of the meal.

IMG_0252.jpg.c945f027ec9426fbb1e8a3553d7

Lee's Diner has been operating eight years in the Pattaya restaurant shark pool, which is a longer run than many get. 

IMG_0295.jpg.9d8e2e5175a9e73642509365375

It's located on Soi Diana near the intersection with LK Metro and dishes up Thai and farang food 24/7.

IMG_0293.jpg.65110b7a443c4961f82d54bb6d7

It's clean and well-lit, which are definitely positive factors in my eyes.  A serious downside factor is that there's no wall between Lee's and the neighboring bar that features a live band blaring the usual numbers at ear-splitting levels. 

IMG_0291.jpg.96a7fd1136db93dbea50fe30857

What the band lacks in quality it makes up in volume. There is no way I could ever eat a meal with that deafening racket in the background, but the band knocks off at 2 a.m. and that's when I tried Lee's recently.  I had eaten at Lee's in years past, but hadn't gone back much because I found the food, well, ... mediocre.

IMG_0289.jpg.4d851095b141a6e979eec3ac657

There was nothing about the beef with oyster sauce I had at 160 baht that caused me to change that opinion. 

IMG_0290.jpg.765a2807b78f5c50bcc333ad3f8

It was bland and heavy on the vegetables but light on the beef, also a bit oily.  On the positive side, the ingredients seemed fresh and the beef wasn't tough.  Everything considered, it fit comfortably in the realm of mediocrity.

IMG_0292.jpg.ae65a0b8afb55d9510a6a33843c

Edited by Evil Penevil, 10 August 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#2 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9707 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:14 AM

I really have little to add to the topic other than the following. Most Farangs that I know would say that perhaps the most mediocre eaterie in Pattaya is Kiss. For me when I want a substantial snack the club sandwich and chips at under 100 baht is fine. The strange thing is that in the last few months I have been asked on 3 occasions by Thai girls to take them there and have had no complaints. I would never have thought of talking someone there but this experience is changing my thinking. Perhaps mediocre has a different meaning to different people?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#3 Alphonse

Alphonse

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

Have had Thai girls drag me to Kiss in the past. Usually, the fried fish can be OK (though even that sometimes fails) and most other dishes I have tried are mediocre at best. The Jomtien shop is no improvement yet often see Thais eating there. Best I can figure is that it is still relatively cheap though the portions are small.

#4 midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis

Hall O Fame

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14179 posts
  • United States

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

I really have little to add to the topic other than the following. Most Farangs that I know would say that perhaps the most mediocre eaterie in Pattaya is Kiss. For me when I want a substantial snack the club sandwich and chips at under 100 baht is fine. The strange thing is that in the last few months I have been asked on 3 occasions by Thai girls to take them there and have had no complaints. I would never have thought of talking someone there but this experience is changing my thinking. Perhaps mediocre has a different meaning to different people?

Most of my trips I have had lodging within walking distance of Kiss. I have eaten there twice on my own and once because a Thai girl wanted to eat there, though I would have taken her to any eatery of her choice.

:clueless

#5 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35863 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

I tried the Sunday Carvery at The Robin Hood yesterday, and my sentiments echo EP's excellent reporting above.

Firstly it was the Sunday, all you can eat carvery, so 395 baht, and I arrived before 1pm, so the stuff had not been sitting out for long.

Mushroom soup for starter, OK but nothing extraordinary, a skin had formed on it.

Carvery had 5 choices, Chicken, Ham, Pork, Beef and Lamb.... I went for those I never get at home. lamb and beef, both okay but not special, they were not joints of meat but more pressed blocks, lamb is best from a nice leg or cutlets. Gravy boat needed for the dry stuffing and bacon wrapped sausage, but as it was help yourself I got a reasonable looking Yorkshire pudding. Choices of bland looking veggies but I went with cauliflower cheese, not very cheesy and a little undercooked, as were the roast potatoes. My second plate I tried mashed which was good.

My seat near the West side window was a little warm for such heavy food.  Hence I substituted ice-cream for the flan/ egg custard that was on offer. Along with a pint of Heiny which was cool  and refreshing the total was just over 500 baht. The place had filled up while I was there, which meant there weren't any available tables but the place didn't look crowded. Getting to and from food requires limber hips.

A plus, waitresses in short skirts they are always pulling at. They work hard but perhaps need one or two more, sometimes kept waiting... use the bell which I noticed late on!

A reasonable choice but I think there are better carveries around on a Sunday.

Edited by jacko, 30 July 2018 - 06:17 AM.

#6 teelack

teelack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9707 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:29 AM

I tried the Sunday Carvery at The Robin Hood yesterday, and my sentiments echo EP's excellent reporting above.

Firstly it was the Sunday, all you can eat carvery, so 395 baht, and I arrived before 1pm, so the stuff had not been sitting out for long.

Mushroom soup for starter, OK but nothing extraordinary, a skin had formed on it.

Carvery had 5 choices, Chicken, Ham, Pork, Beef and Lamb.... I went for those I never get at home. lamb and beef, both okay but not special, they were not joints of meat but more pressed blocks, lamb is best from a nice leg or cutlets. Gravy boat needed for the dry stuffing and bacon wrapped sausage, but as it was help yourself I got a reasonably looking Yorkshire pudding. Choices of bland looking veggies but I went with cauliflower cheese, not very cheesy and a little undercooked, as were the roast potatoes. My second plate I tried mashed which was good.

My seat near the West side window was a little warm for such heavy food.  Hence I substituted ice-cream for the flan/ egg custard that was on offer. Along with a pint of Heiny which was cool  and refreshing the total was just over 500 baht. The place had filled up while I was there, which meant there weren't any available tables but the place didn't look crowded. Getting to and from food requires limber hips.
A plus, waitresses in short skirts they are always pulling at. They work hard but perhaps need one or two more, sometimes kept waiting... use the bell which I noticed late on!

A reasonable choice but I think there are better carveries around on a Sunday.

I usually have the 199 baht Sunday meal. It is more than enough for me and while not as good as the Queens Arms is still good value for money.

#7 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

The all-you-can-eat international buffet at the Atlantis Restaurant at the Centara Azure on Soi 15 falls squarely in the mediocre column.  It runs Monday through Thursday, 6.30 p.m. to 10.30 p.m, and costs  299 baht.  

There isn't much variety- about eight main dishes ( four each of Asian and farang food), a measly salad bar and a few side dishes, appetizers and desserts to choose from. It's not a bountiful buffet. The food is undistinguished and dining can be hassle due to Chinese and other tour groups.  We got there at 7.00 p.m. but the serving trays had already been heavily plundered and the staff was slow to refill them.

IMG_0084.jpg

It's a rather off-putting experience to see Chinese tourists hit a buffet and much worse if you have to compete with them.  I'm not going to say more, but I think you get the idea. 

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

The best thing about the Atlantis is the decor and huge aquarium. Kids love it, but it's sad when watching fish in a restaurant is more enjoyable than eating fish.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

I haven't tried the BBQ buffet and never will, but a friend who did try it thought it was not just mediocre but bad considering the price.

IMG_0088.jpg

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 31 July 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#8 tallguy

tallguy

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:12 AM

If the roasts and carvery at Robin Hood are mediocre what does that say about other offerings around town? I think it ranks amongst the best options available and compares favourably to the much vaunted Sportsman carvery.
In the past I have tried the carveries at Jolly's and Robin's Nest and came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with a carvery where the best parts of the meal are the soup and the ice cream.
The main positives on the Robin Hood Sunday Carvery are the quality of the meats and the inclusion of lamb, (this forced the Sportsman to start including lamb in their carvery price again). I like the fact that they include a proper cooked dessert, although this varies from week to week, rather than just a couple of dollops of ice cream. Some of the soups, like Jacko's mushroom soup and the pumpkin soup maybe a bit bland, but the carrot and ginger soup was better than expected, and the tomato and basil soup is very good.
The daily carvery offered during the week is a welcome improvement on reheated roasts offered by other places.

Edited by tallguy, 02 August 2018 - 04:16 AM.

#9 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35863 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:36 AM

If the roasts and carvery at Robin Hood are mediocre what does that say about other offerings around town? I think it ranks amongst the best options available and compares favourably to the much vaunted Sportsman carvery.
In the past I have tried the carveries at Jolly's and Robin's Nest and came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with a carvery where the best parts of the meal are the soup and the ice cream.
The main positives on the Robin Hood Sunday Carvery are the quality of the meats and the inclusion of lamb, (this forced the Sportsman to start including lamb in their carvery price again). I like the fact that they include a proper cooked dessert, although this varies from week to week, rather than just a couple of dollops of ice cream. Some of the soups, like Jacko's mushroom soup and the pumpkin soup maybe a bit bland, but the carrot and ginger soup was better than expected, and the tomato and basil soup is very good.
The daily carvery offered during the week is a welcome improvement on reheated roasts offered by other places.

Like me, you are an old timer of Pattaya. Did you ever have the carvery at the old Shenanigans, when it was approximately where Dicey Reilly's is now? It was pretty expensive but very very good.

Edited by jacko, 02 August 2018 - 06:39 AM.

#10 tallguy

tallguy

Super Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Like me, you are an old timer of Pattaya. Did you ever have the carvery at the old Shenanigans, when it was approximately where Dicey Reilly's is now? It was pretty expensive but very very good.

As a two week holiday maker I didn't spend much time in that area. By the time I started staying around the Buakhau / Dianna area on longer trips Shenanigans had moved to The Avenue. I did enjoy the carvery there as an occasional treat, I especially enjoyed the prawns on the salad bar. Unfortunately it did go downhill a bit during the year or so before Shenanigans closed.

#11 Evil Penevil

Evil Penevil

Elite Poster

• Major Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts
  • United States

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

IMG_0041.jpg

A lot of people favor the Sailor Restaurant on Soi 7, mainly because it is cheap, but I've never had much luck. I've eaten there five times in the past six years  Three meals were bad (one totally inedible), one was good and the most recent (last night) was mediocre.

IMG_0035.jpg

I tried one of the more expensive items on the menu, the T-bone steak for 150 baht. It came with a choice of potatoes, boiled vegetables and a smattering of cabbage salad.I'm fully aware that for 150 baht you're not going to get imported beef, so my expectations weren't too high.  I asked for the steak to be done medium and that's how it came.As soon as I had a piece of it in my mouth, I was reminded of the children's story "The Little Engine That Could."  Chew, chew, chew and me tell myself, "I think I can, I think I can."  It wasn't impossibly tough, but tough enough to place it in the mediocre category.  The mashed potatoes tasted weird and the veggies had been boiled way too soft for me, but some like them that way.

IMG_0039.jpg

I knew before I stepped into the Sailor I was entering the heart of Cheap Charlie darkness, where price and portion size are much more important than taste.  I figured I'd get a mediocre meal and that's exactly what happened.  But whatever its culinary faults, the Sailor has been in operation for many years and remains popular.  I sat down at the last available table about 8.00 p.m. At least 30 people were dining, including three groups of  eight. It thinned out a bit as I ate my meal, but still had plenty of customers when I finished.

IMG_00321.jpg

The day the zombie apocalypse comes to Pattaya, the Sailor Restaurant will be one of the last outlying bastions of Cheap Charliedom to fall before the final stand at New Plaza. I'll check back in 2019 to see if the Sailor has changed.

Evil

:devil

Edited by Evil Penevil, 10 August 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#12 sinbinjack

sinbinjack

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2702 posts
  • Interests:ice hockey,sex
  • England

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:03 AM

I dont in general subscribe to food threads as I have no kind of special palate and am generally happy with most things put in front of me, well those things I chose because I like them. But I do love the food at the Golf Club in LK metro . I love the green curry and they do a great barbecue 3 nights a week . Now some of their meals are over the 300 but those meals I have seen big guys with big appetites take home doggie bags . The place cant be all that bad as I am sure most of its trade is from patrons of other bars who order their food at the golf club and delivered to other bars all over LK Metro by the very hard working girls and the BBQ guys is really good. Even as an admitted cheap charlie I find the food in the golf club to be wholesome tasty and economic if not the cheapest it is for me the best all round place to eat in fun town and I eat there 5 or 6 days a week when in town. Mind you I eat mainly their green Curry , which I think IS the best in town  their burgers which are tasty and the BBQ chicken breasts and baked potatoes . 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 83 user(s)

short, assasaintim, marleyboy, fosse, PATFAN, CyberSpud, Odense, Lantern, sabaidii2, mrbill2, Alphonse, rnine, kingarthur, JONPAT, conway, Arby, cbrib, TheFiend, wacmedia, wacmedia, thegrogmonster, Bushcraft, capdagde, Regyai, dphoude, bastax33, trikidiki, fredflint, groover, Kev, kingfuji, SunnyValentine, pattysteve, braggsaw, teelack, BigusDicus, Grandpollo, helloitsme, PigBoy#1, Scottie, InCider, ahainu, Slobbert, carling, Indiscipline, fast eddy, js007, Siam Sam, Billions, dream1302, gs joe, glee, priory, telmah, forcebwithu, Chang_paarp, midlifecrisis, tallguy, yorta2, Dungheap, sailingbill, PattayaPete, explorer, bkkbob40, drzaz, jor, Fireman Sam, Evil Penevil, jacko, keyman, The_Fat_Controller, robbo, marxere, nkped, snowbird, hjr, sinbinjack, aussiechic, dheado, lounge_lizard, Catbear, dv34917, kuranda_bagman