#1 Firepole

Firepole

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • United States

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:46 AM

Would I need a prescription from a Dr. to buy this in a Pattaya pharmacy or will the pharmacist sell it to me without one?

#2 Bushcraft

Bushcraft

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
  • Interests:Military history, martial arts, missionary work
  • Thailand

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

In my experience you don't need a prescription.

#3 js007

js007

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4866 posts
  • United States

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:16 PM

Usually, you only need a prescription for narcotic type drugs.  Of course, in Thailand, a particular drug may have a different name than it does elsewhere in the world.  

#4 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36084 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 11 September 2018 - 05:31 AM

Antibiotics can be bought over the counter.

#5 Butch

Butch

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2947 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

Soi Bukhao, either opposite Oasis or on the left just before you get to Soi Lengkhee there are 2 pharmacies. They sell genuine and generic over the counter Antibiotics. I'd pay more for the genuine if I were you, it is almost double the cost however.

They also sell Xanax otc as well, should you wish.

#6 Grandpollo

Grandpollo

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1882 posts
  • Hong Kong

Posted 15 September 2018 - 04:48 AM

And for 99.9% of self diagnosed infections like all STDs except Chlamydia it is probably a dumb thing to self prescribe anyway. (Won't work for Gonorrhea nor Syphilis for example).

The "Z-Pack" is bought by people who know zilch about antibiotics. Increases the risk of possibly fatal C. Difficle infections though, so there's that.

#7 Butch

Butch

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2947 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:51 AM

A few AB resistant type strains of STDs kicking about for a while now.

I have found that there are a good few pharma's in Pattaya who will tell you what you need if you ask them. They see Strep throat, Chlamydia (despite being asymptomatic in women up to a point), clap, eye infections and ear infections regularly so one would hope that they know what works, but TIT of course :)

Totally agree , self diagnosis is daft if you have no idea what you have and put your symptoms into Dr Google and he then spits out that you have terminal brain cancer. Doctors aren't cheap in Pattaya but as we always say, what price do we put upon our health?.

#8 Firepole

Firepole

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:47 PM

And for 99.9% of self diagnosed infections like all STDs except Chlamydia it is probably a dumb thing to self prescribe anyway. (Won't work for Gonorrhea nor Syphilis for example).

The "Z-Pack" is bought by people who know zilch about antibiotics. Increases the risk of possibly fatal C. Difficle infections though, so there's that.

Couldn't agree more. Self-diagnosis is stupid unless you know what you're doing. It's the reason that there are "superbugs" out there. That, and those who don't complete treatment for whatever reason. Idiots.

I'm not looking to buy antibiotics for STD purposes. It(they) would be for potential respiratory issues. There, I know what I'm doing.

#9 Firepole

Firepole

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • United States

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:48 PM

BTW, thanks to all for your input.

#10 Grandpollo

Grandpollo

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1882 posts
  • Hong Kong

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:58 AM

Couldn't agree more. Self-diagnosis is stupid unless you know what you're doing. It's the reason that there are "superbugs" out there. That, and those who don't complete treatment for whatever reason. Idiots.

I'm not looking to buy antibiotics for STD purposes. It(they) would be for potential respiratory issues. There, I know what I'm doing.

Not without a culture. If your physician agrees you should have them why not just get some from a pharmacy? Walmart would have generic for $5 of $10 for 30 days and they would be genuine and stored properly unlike what you might end up with in Pattaya.

Usually when people won't ask the doctor it's because the doctor has said don't take them.

#11 jacko

jacko

Hall O Fame

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36084 posts
  • Interests:Relaxing and awaiting the liberation of impotence.
  • Thailand

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:05 AM

Not without a culture. If your physician agrees you should have them why not just get some from a pharmacy? Walmart would have generic for $5 of $10 for 30 days and they would be genuine and stored properly unlike what you might end up with in Pattaya.

Usually when people won't ask the doctor it's because the doctor has said don't take them.

Sometimes people are avoiding the cost of seeing a physician... and the subsequent tests. Particularly true for retirees in Pattaya.

#12 Grandpollo

Grandpollo

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1882 posts
  • Hong Kong

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:41 AM

Sometimes people are avoiding the cost of seeing a physician... and the subsequent tests. Particularly true for retirees in Pattaya.

Not much of an excuse for self diagnosis to be honest but you have a good point. Especially with Americans which I infer from his location and the lack of access to health care for so many there. But what's all this "potential respiratory issues"? If an MD has said this is a risk then the MD should have written a scrip for a safe supply (of whatever antibiotic) . And Azithromycin might not be the drug of choice anyway. 

The problem with Azithromycin is that it's become legendary on travel boards (more the other Pattaya one) as this "kills everything" "Z-pack" which is complete nonsense of course and thus people don't get better, risk D. Difficile infection, spreading quite treatable bacterial diseases particularly STDs and making bacterial resistance more of a risk for all. It treats Chlamydia though, so 2 pills is a fair thing to have IF (and that's a big if) someone is actually diagnosed with it. 

#13 Butch

Butch

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2947 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:58 PM

Respiratory complaints such as a bronchial infection might clear up with Antibiotics, but it is getting it diagnosed correctly in the first place which makes it important. Stuff like asthma can be treated with the relevant inhalers. Pleurisy is viral in some cases won't respond to antibiotic treatment anyway, unless it's bactrial in which case it will, but getting the right antibiotics for the infection can only be determined by following the correct procedure. Gonorrhoea is a dual pronged treatment using Azithromycin as part of it.

As you say Grandpollo, people throw advice around about antibiotics as a cure all after 2 weeks barebacking in LOS when it clearly is not.

Best advice is to go and see a Doctor, get a swab done and get it sorted.

BTW I'm not a Doctor.

Edited by Butch, 19 September 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#14 Firepole

Firepole

Senior Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • United States

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Yep, a culture is the best route but, seeing as how I'm only worried about getting sick while IN Pattaya and/or AC my U.S. health services(Dr., lab, pharmacy, etc...) would not come into play. Cultures, for the most part, only confirm a diagnosis made using signs and symptoms.

My U.S. doctor recently passed away. Prior to that, knowing my background, he had no problem prescribing things to take with me "just in case". It's going to take awhile before another Dr.(once I find one) will have as much faith in me, with his Rx help, to allow me to "self-medicate". I wouldn't blame him.

Inhalers will help the symptoms, of some conditions, up to a certain point. Then, depending on the condition, they can be overwhelmed and, thus, ineffective. And, they don't do anything to kill an infection. It wouldn't be until that point that a culture would be called for anyhow so, still on track. I know that your typical inhaler isn't designed for infections but some conditions, initially, present as things such as asthma, etc.... I'd use inhalers until it became obvious that there's something beyond e.g. asthma going on. The stethoscope I travel with(yes, I do) isn't just for playing doctor with the girls.

I asked about only azithromycin because I figured if it was available other, same class, antibiotics, that would be relevant to the presenting condition, would also be available.

IMHO, unless you're 100% positive that what you're doing won't harm you, or slow/prevent recovery, you should have someone who knows what they're doing take a look.

Edited by Firepole, Yesterday, 08:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 75 user(s)

aldo262, atlas2, Chang_paarp, ttk, Gus, bastax33, beefos, kuranda_bagman, JONPAT, GeeGee, nkped, PattayaPete, Bushcraft, Bazle, Footymadstreams, SunnyValentine, CyberSpud, Catbear, bkkbob40, yorta2, sandancer, pattysteve, larrymac90, honeypot, PigBoy#1, kingfuji, sailingbill, fosse, Regyai, Scottie, laffnliv, marleyboy, inky13, veill, Patna, PoolHustler, Forever, teelack, cbrib, Kev, Rawhide2, Alphonse, TheFiend, conway, CalEden, marxere, Fireman Sam, Grandpollo, snowbird, Pumpuynarak, jor, Billions, fredflint, robbo, martini9946, js007, tallguy, ozboy, lounge_lizard, texasfarang, Odense, Samsonite, chrisinjapan, BigusDicus, rnine, Butch, Firepole, telmah, midlifecrisis, jacko, explorer, redwood13, forcebwithu, keyman, helloitsme