#1 Rawhide2

Rawhide2

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:16 AM

Singapore to New York 19 hours in the air.....boarding right now !

Relaunch of previously suspended service now using ultra long range A350 but only 161 passenger Premium economy and Biz only

https://www.scmp.com...mmercial-flight

Edited by Rawhide2, 11 October 2018 - 05:24 AM.

#2 TheFiend

TheFiend

Elite Poster

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6225 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

Singapore to New York 19 hours in the air.....boarding right now !

Relaunch of previously suspended service now using ultra long range A350 but only 161 passenger Premium economy and Biz only

https://www.scmp.com...mmercial-flight

That's using an A359ULR.... I wonder if Singapore will remain the only customer for it...

Airbus are also gong to do a long range version of the A35K, Qatar having amended an order, changing 5 A359's to the longer range version of the A35K.

#3 Rawhide2

Rawhide2

Advanced Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

I see they have updated the photo now to correct aircraft !  Originally it showed the a380

#4 js007

js007

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4920 posts
  • United States

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:27 PM

I've done the prior 17.5 hour Thai Air flights from the USA.  I guess another hour and a half would be tolerable in Premium Economy.

One time, coming back tot he USA, we caught a jet stream or something and the flight was only about 13.5 hours.   

#5 Butch

Butch

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts
  • Philippines

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:48 PM

That's using an A359ULR.... I wonder if Singapore will remain the only customer for it...

Airbus are also gong to do a long range version of the A35K, Qatar having amended an order, changing 5 A359's to the longer range version of the A35K.

What are the differences?.

I confess I've got no idea!!

#6 TheFiend

TheFiend

Elite Poster

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6225 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

What are the differences?.

I confess I've got no idea!!

Essentially the longer range versions are been given a few tweaks and adjustments to the specs to allow them to fly longer distances...

With the A350-900ULR one of the tweaks was allowing the fuel tanks to be filled with 24000 litres more fuel and also increased the Max Take Off Weight  to allow the extra fuel..... They didn't need to increase the size of the tank because the required extra volume was already built in to the design.

Another way of extending the range is lowering the load an aircraft carries,  this allows more fuel to be carried. On the Singapore ULRs they are configured so that no cargo can loaded into the front load compartment area.

Edited by TheFiend, 12 October 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#7 BigusDicus

BigusDicus

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts
  • United States

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

I've done the prior 17.5 hour Thai Air flights from the USA.  I guess another hour and a half would be tolerable in Premium Economy.

One time, coming back tot he USA, we caught a jet stream or something and the flight was only about 13.5 hours.   

I assume you are talking about the LAX/BKK Thai flights?  I flew that route quite a bit myself.  Awesome!  What a difference it made, nonstop versus connecting.  I too remember a couple of flights back well under 14 hours.

#8 js007

js007

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4920 posts
  • United States

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

I assume you are talking about the LAX/BKK Thai flights?  I flew that route quite a bit myself.  Awesome!  What a difference it made, nonstop versus connecting.  I too remember a couple of flights back well under 14 hours.

I also did the JFK-BKK nonstop trip one time.  Those flights went up over the North Pole and then back down.  

#9 TheFiend

TheFiend

Elite Poster

• A Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6225 posts
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

I also did the JFK-BKK nonstop trip one time.  Those flights went up over the North Pole and then back down.  

The return flight, SQ21 is doing that route right now, as I am typing this it's currently approaching the North Russian coast....

I believe the first A359-900ULR took a similar route on it's delivery flight, heading north from Toulouse  instead of heading east.

#10 nkped

nkped

Elite Poster

• Participant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4840 posts
  • Interests:Military history, scuba, Nebraska football
  • United States

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:07 AM

Longest I have been on was Detroit-Beijing at about 16 hours. That's too long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

This topic has been visited by 65 user(s)

PoolHustler, pattysteve, CyberSpud, Siam Sam, mrbill2, Billions, Bob Belzy, Britboy, conway, wacmedia, aj, sailingbill, rnine, Firedude, forcebwithu, helloitsme, Arby, frostfire, ttk, priory, Nightrider, GeeGee, Brown1950, telmah, short, biggles, PattayaPete, Bar4, kingfuji, keyman, gs joe, Bazle, Butch, goldtop1, lounge_lizard, martini9946, midlifecrisis, jor, BigusDicus, tallguy, too_mutt, nkped, Gus, rb, js007, LBJ, TheFiend, jacko, redwood13, buck22, Rawhide2, Stan, Scottie, kuranda_bagman, PigBoy#1, maipenrai, Steptoe, InternationalTraveler, surry, aardvark, hwells, sinbinjack, Slobbert, KOJO, cheeky